Cloning a view from default organization within a client organization

Eran Withana shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

I have a view deployed in the default organization and it can be seen in the view report builder inside the client organization. But, if someone wants to clone that view from the client organization, whats the correct way of doing it. I don't see the view from the default org appearing as a view inside Administrations -> View.

I know that I can export from the default org and import it to the client org, but is there an easier way to do this?

Replies (5)

photo

Hello Eran,

Thanks for reaching out with your question. You're right, it's not possible to clone a View that exists at the Default Organization level from a Client Org. This is by design, as the concept of providing Views to report on from the Default Org level allows explicit control over the View to the Default Org. By this design, the Default Org is able to make adjustments to a View (if needed) and push that out automatically to all Client Org Reports based on said View.

Because of this, importing the View from the Default Org is currently the only way to gain Edit access to the View. This ensures that ownership of the View is explicitly granted to the Client Org.

Does this help?

photo

Thanks Ryan for the reply

I thought the management of the views would be similar to the reports since with the reports, we can deploy those from the default org but the client orgs can clone them. This doesn't hinder default orgs to still have control of the original reports.

May be we could do the same with the views?

photo

Hello Eran,

Thanks for the reply. Views and their structure have a lot heavier bearing on the data being pulled into reports than the report itself. Views are handled in this way to prevent Client Orgs from altering them and possibly skewing their data. While copying a report from a Client Org gives the Client full control over said report, the View is still controlled from the Default Org, and thus ensures integrity of the data structure being reported on.

I understand your desire in your particular situation to more easily bypass this integrity feature, however it's unlikely we would consider removing this behavior from Yellowfin. If this is something you strongly feel would be a beneficial feature of Yellowfin, please feel free to create an Idea. These are reviewed by our Product Team and voted on by the Community to determine which will be included as Enhancements to the product development.

I understand this may not be the news you were hoping for and am sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing, but can say that this is a feature to ensure data integrity and not an oversight of development.

Does this address your concerns?

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Makes sense. I will add an idea. Thanks for the explanation Ryan

photo

Hi Eran,

Always happy to help. I'll go ahead and mark this as Answered. Don't hesitate to reach out with any further questions or issues.

Thanks,

Ryan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file