Custom XML element in export

Gerhard Mitterlechner shared this idea 18 months ago
Idea Logged

Hi!

Similar to: https://community.yellowfinbi.com/ticket/26083

We are searching for an xml-Element in an exported view into which we could write our verison information.

We found out that modifying the "businessDescription" fulfills our needs, except that our version string contains data that the customer should not see by default. (Of course, the businessDescription is visible if the customer has read-privileges on the view.)

In detail we search for a possibility to:

* add or reuse an existing xml-element to the xml-export-file of a view

* by overwriting/customizing the content of this xml-element we store our internal full version info

* importing and exporting the view must not change the customized content

* the content should not be visible for a customer that has read-access to the view

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Gerhard,

Thanks for reaching out to support. I can make this into a developer task on your behalf, just parsing out how exactly to word it...

I think the ideal spot would be in "info" up at the top, would you agree? -

<info>
<exportversion>4</exportversion>
<exportsubversion>50</exportsubversion>
<transferHeaderUUID>32b8af94-420b-46c7-abd8-1c7e79412218</transferHeaderUUID>
<appversion>8.0</appversion>
<appsubversion>6</appsubversion>
<buildversion>20200904</buildversion>
<exportdate>2022-06-15 09:21 UTC (+0000)</exportdate>

I think it'd be a parameter like "<customappversion>" - any thoughts?

where do you think a good place to put this in the GUI would be? Maybe near "company logo" in System Configuration - General?

0a75b938804043dab00c1b3330e61725

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric!

While your suggestion would be perfectly reasonable in a slightly different context (and I would vote also for exactly what you suggested), what we search in the current issue is to versionize a view (only), using an internal version-string that should NOT visible in the GUI (at least not by the customer).

We would just need some (existing?) XML-tag in a view's export file which will not be modified in the export/import progress.

photo

Hi Gerhard,

This type of XML customization wouldn't be possible currently. I can make a developer task to investigate the potential for including this in a future release however.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric!

Yes, thanks, that would be great. Looking forward to seeing this feature implemented.

In the meantime, we plan to "hijack" the businessDescription-element for our described purpose (which by default is visible to the customer), but plan to move the view (which the user is not allowed to modify) to a folder to which the customer has no access to. (Still he would be able to create report out of this view using the "+" button in the file explorer.)

Does that sound reasonable for you?

photo

Hi Gerhard,

Thanks for confirming for me. I've gone ahead and created a developer task to look into potentially adding this functionality to a future version of the application. I've attached this ticket to the task and added your organization as an affected client for tracking purposes. Updates to the task will be provided here as they are available. I'll mark this as Idea Logged for now; feel welcome to reply here with any related inquiries.

Thanks,

Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file