Is there a way to export settings?

Renato Marcello dos Reis shared this idea 4 years ago
Idea Logged

Hi Guys,

I'm gonna have to install Yellowfin on a new client in a time soon, but there is a lot of standard settings that we'll have to configure. Is there a way to simply carry over the settings from an instance to another on different computers?

Thanks in advance.

Replies (10)

photo

Hi Renato,

Thanks for reaching out to support with your question.

I don't think there's a developed function for what you're trying to achieve, but we could take a look at some possible options here.

Would you be able to expound on the types of settings you are looking to move over to the new client?

My initial thought is that without a built-in "tool" for this export-import process, you could -

A) Make a "template" YF Config DB by stripping down a test instance or building one from scratch, and doing an install against that DB

B) Locate the desired settings on the back-end (I believe a number can be found in the "configuration" table for example) and import into the new config DB

I could assist with this process to a certain extent, though this would technically be out-of-scope for us, also would you like to see this looked into by developers for possible inclusion in a future release?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric, thanks a lot for your help.

For now I can use a "template" as your instruction, but can this feature be implemented in a future realease? It would be amazing if possible.

photo

Hi Renato,

Glad to help! I would be happy to make a request to developers for a software enhancement in this case, could you provide details on the particular configuration elements you would like to see included in this proposed import/export process?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric, Sorry for letting you waiting. I was very focused on a client these last days.

Well, about your question, I think every configuration on Yellowfin should be avaiable to export. Right now, I'm configuring a new client, and as some of our settings are standards, I have tons of prints for each tab on configuration screen, so I can just copy those parameters.

There are some settings that I'm confortable to just update the Configuration table, but we don't like to hard code as this is not the best practice around here.

Thanks a lot for your help.

photo
photo

Hi Renato,

I've gone ahead and put in a request to developers for the type of functionality you're seeking here. I've attached this ticket to the task, and included your organization as an affected client. Updates to the task will be provided here as they are available. I'll in turn mark this ticket as Idea Logged; feel welcome to reply here with further related inquiries.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Renato/Eric

Here are some scripts (originally created by Ivan Seow I think) that may help

Perhaps they will be of use

Note that not all Config Items are in the YF - Generate - Confguration Data.sql file - you can add others by adding them to the IN clause (the values to add can be found in the Configuration table in the YF repository DB)

Regards,

Mark.

photo

Hi Renato,

Just a disclaimer here: If you do try these queries Mark has provided, please practice due diligence and confirm you have good backups in working order, as running queries against the config DB can cause irrevocable damage to your system and is not officially supported.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Mark / Eric,

Thanks a lot for your help. This can be a possible solution for now, and I really apretiate you guys trying to help. By the way, we have a daily backup from the database, so I'm sure this won't be a problem. And of course, I'm gonna try this on a test enviroment first.

Eric, if possible, I would like to keep the post opened to wait for a more simple solution for people who's not confortable using SQL Queries when I'm not around. Something like an export configurations as a XML file and a posterior import would be awesome if I may give my opinion.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards.

photo

Hi Renato,

Thanks for your feedback, I'll keep this marked as Idea Logged, which allows for additional commenting, and confer with the team to see if there are any alternative options for you in regards to this functionality.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi there! We also are exactly in need of the functionality to export system settings (especially those done in the administration console) and/or user-roles.

Any progress on that?

Are the SQL files still valid/compatible with version 9 of YF?

photo

Hi Gerhard,

This system configuration export functionality remains unimplemented at this time unfortunately.

We have an existing Idea post for this -

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/ability-to-export-non-reporting-objects

Feel welcome to "like and subscribe" here for updates to this task.

I would not use the aforementioned code in newer YF versions - Lots of configuration parameters have been added / updated over the last couple of years and as such this may not work anymore. You may have success exporting the table date In general we do not recommend making changes to the configuration DB directly as it has potential to cause irreparable damage to the system and is technically out-of-scope for support.

One way I would possibly look into to achieve this is by creating a sort of "Config DB template" with these parameters defined, that can subsequently point to on new YF installations, does this sound like a good potential way forward?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric!

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure whether I can exactly imagine how this "Config DB template" idea would look like, but yes, that sounds like a promising idea!

photo

Hi Gerhard,

Thanks for the reply, pretty sure we have clients doing this type of system configuration; for assistance with implementing this type of deployment feel welcome to get in touch with an account manager for potential consulting opportunities.

Thanks,

Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file