Yellowfin on Apple M1 Pro - issues?

Scudfest shared this question 21 months ago
Answered

I have recently installed Yellowfin on the new M1 Macbook using my dev license. Following specs.

Application Version:9.7.2
Build:20220602
Java Version:17.0.3.1
Operating System:Mac OS X 12.4 (aarch64)
Installation is using all the defaults.

Initially everything works and can import files, build connections, views, reports etc.

After a few hours use it becomes unusable. Are there any known issues with the M1 chip?I was careful to install the java version that is compatible.

For example.

I get this error in the yellowfin.log when attempting to export:

ERROR (V4ExportProcess) - [41] [B738AC36] [/MIExportAjaxAction.i4] Error: java.lang.RuntimeException: Report Identifier not specified

---

When I attempt to 'Browse' the spinner appears and never goes away - hangs.Yellowfin.log entry is:

ERROR (ContentProcess) - [60] [B738AC36] [/BrowseAjax.i4] com.hof.util.ActionErrorsException: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "java.lang.Integer.equals(Object)" because the return value of "com.hof.mi.data.ReportViewBean.getParentViewId()" is null

Thanks

Replies (8)

photo

Hi Scudfest,

It's a bit hard to come by hardware to test on the M1 chips, but luckily we do have one member of our team with an M1 Macbook Pro - I can confirm that unfortunately at this time the Docker image doesn't work on M1 hardware but I don't have any word on the standard install.

Have you installed the latest version of Azul Java for Mac, 17.0.3+7, Azul Zulu: 17.34.19?

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

I installed Azul Zulu: 17.34.19 and changed the JAVA_HOME value in catalina.sh to point to it.

Is that the correct procedure?

Unfortunately, same errors.

photo

Hi there,

Yes, it does seem there is a bug in Java 16 and 17 where some security changes may be causing issue. That is under review for 9.7.3.

In the meantime, my colleague is running Yellowfin with Java 1.8.0_331 on his MacBook with M1 Pro without issue. You may wish to try this instead.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Righto.

Gingerly operating a new installation using the Java 1.8.0_331 version. With frequent back-ups.

Will update if there are any issues using this set up.

kc

photo

Let me know who goes.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Kieran,

Just checking in with you on this one, were you able to get Yellowfin running correctly on your laptop with the different Java version?

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

I was able to get Yellowfin up and running with v17.The problem was that it would get corrupted or something a few days later. Then all work is lost.

So far using v1.8 it has not occurred yet.

Still feels like I'm walking on a field of and mines.

Time will tell.

kc

photo

I was trying to run YF in Docker on a Macbook Pro with M1 chip. No success so far. If you're able to run in in Docker and you're willing to share how you've done it, it will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ivan

photo

Hi Ivan,

We do have an internal task stating that Yellowfin doesn't currently work on Docker when running on an M1 Mac.

You could try swapping out your Java for an ARM-compatible version, such as Bellsoft, which has a download available for ARM chips - https://bell-sw.com/pages/downloads/#/java-11-lts (select linux/mac, arm then full jdk)

The above is from our internal note, so you could try using the same Java recommended earlier in this thread, 1.8.0_331.

If you're comfortable with editing the app-only image Dockerfile, which is available here: https://github.com/YellowfinBI/Docker/blob/master/Docker Files/yellowfinAppOnly/Dockerfile

Unfortunately I don't have the hardware to test, but if you go ahead, let me know if that works for you.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Warning!

I just lost all my charts. :(

Restarted Yellowfin and .... gone.

Not sure if this is specific to the above configs - Macbook M1 and java version.

Reports are still there but I am not sure how to recover the charts if that is possible.

scudfest

photo

Hi Scudfest,

It's hard to say without going into some more detail here.

Are the charts missing from a dashboard or the reports themselves (multiple, I'm guessing, as you said all charts)?

Is Yellowfin displaying any errors, either in the yellowfin.log file (yellowfin/appserver/logs) or the web browser console?

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Chris,

All charts are gone from all reports and dashboards.

When you edit an existing report and go to the chart building tab you get an error.

alert-large System Error

Oh no! An error occurred loading your details from the database. Please try again later

When you click the button the report is closed and you're taken back to the browse page.

I have attached the excerpt from yellowfin.log when I tried to access the chart builder tab.

Note that this is my dev environment so I'm not panicking.

I have lost a big chunk of development work so I am keen to restore this.

I am using the default hyper sql database.

thanks

photo

Hi Scudfest,

That looks like a SQL error from the hsqldb.jar where it's trying to cast a String to a Number.

We do recommend installing into a proper database like Postgres or MySQL rather than the default HSQL, which is more for just testing only. Installing into a proper database allows regular backups to be taken.

It might be worth trying to export one of these problem reports and then importing it into a working environment to see if that allows you to retrieve the charts.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Scudfest,

I haven't heard from back regarding this ticket in some time. I'll close it off for now, but let me know if there's anything else around this particular problem you want to discuss.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Chris,

I reinstalled the application using MySQL as the database. There have been no catastrophic failures since.

I'm getting a new issue related to report creation. I will create a new topic to keep things clean and separate.

thanks

photo

No worries. Enjoy your week :)

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file