How to analyze long running reports

Bruce Becker shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

Hello,

We have a complicated financial report that appears to read in a fairly large chunk of data at the beginning of the report and then it churns along for a long time. For example, 1 day's worth of transactions can take 5 minutes to process. When we do a longer range, it goes up accordingly.

I am monitoring the underlying PostgreSQL DB where the data resides and also the DB that YF itself is attached to and see very little activity during this time after the initial chunk of data has been inhaled.

Watching the Linux system (A VM with just YF running on it), which has 32 GB of memory, JVM, which has been given a max of 20 GB at the start and the 8 CPUs shows very little stress the whole time this is running. Looking at the various info_cache.jsp, info_threads.jsp, etc.. pages shows no increase over the course of time. I also ran the yfmonitor.jar to look at the graphs and nothing looks interesting.

What other approaches can be used to understand what the system is doing during this time. (Looked through ever log that was mentioned in various support posts and found no errors and very few entries.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies (2)

photo

HI Bruce,

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you have reviewed our Performance and Tuning Guide -

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/yellowfin-performance-tuning-or-monitoring

Are you able to provide a copy of all these files for analysis, including your info.jsp page? You can upload to our ftp https://ftp.yellowfin.bi using the "send files" button, just reply here with a filename and timestamp of the report run / finish times if you could please.

With something like a particular "complicated financial report" that is taking a long time to run, and has never been "fast," I would look for a potential solution in finding a specific field or element in the report that is slow, and possibly making it "less complicated." For example, creating Procedures for calculations like totals or averages. If you'd like assistance with this type of content optimization let me know and I can get in touch with an account manager on your behalf for potential consulting engagements.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Thanks Eric.

It is uploaded as YF_Long_Running_report.zip.

In the zip file, find the yellowfin.log.1 file and the beginning of the report starts on about line 5893 at 13:26:02. Look for this SQL String 'SELECT DISTINCT Ad_Table_Id'.

It runs for about 5 minutes after that.

Thanks

photo

Further analysis has shown that the underlying query was taking the majority of the time instead of what looked like a short query. So, in this case, we have to analyze the query further to try and optimize it. So, it seems like the answer for this specific one is that we need to fix the query and not be concerned with what YF was doing during the duration of the report. So, don't spend a lot of time looking at the uploaded log files.

Thanks

photo
photo

Hi Bruce,

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going with this.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric, as far as we can tell, the only real issue we need to solve right now is how to export very long PDF reports. And that has been reported on the other ticket. So, this can be closed.

Thanks

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file