CockroachDB

Paul Stadler shared this idea 2 years ago
Idea Logged

Has anyone looked into CockroachDB and whether or not it works with YellowFin out-of-the-box (using Postgres drivers)?

Ref: https://www.cockroachlabs.com/

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Paul,

Thanks for reaching out. We have no internal data on CockroachDB, but if it is compatible with the Postgres JDBC driver there should be no issues. Happy to submit any inconsistent behaviors though; let us know if you run into anything down the road.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

My understanding is that the driver will work at a wire protocol level, but there are differences in the SQL dialect.

This page details the differences: https://www.cockroachlabs.com/docs/stable/postgresql-compatibility.html. Any idea if any of these would be an issue w/ how YellowFin builds its SQL?

We're not really in a position to test this because we'd have to run 1000's of different queries through it. We're at a stage to choose some underlying technology now, but don't think that kind of research would fit as a pre-requisite.

Thanks!

Paul

photo
photo

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. This would be tough for me to answer, as YF does a LOT of SQL queries on the back-end haha. But what I can do here is make a developer request for "official support" for CockroachDB, either as a connected Data Source, YF Configuration DB type, or both. This will ensure further investigation on our side at a deep level. Does this sound like a good way forward?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Sounds good. Thanks Eric!

-Paul

photo
photo

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I've gone ahead and created a developer task to look into implementing this functionality going forward. Updates to the task will be provided here as they are available I will in turn mark this ticket as Enhancement Logged. Feel welcome to reply here with any related inquiries.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Much appreciated!

-Paul

photo
photo

CockroachDB is a commercial distributed SQL database management system, developed by Cockroach Labs.CockroachDB is designed to survive software and hardware 192.168.o.1 failures, from server restarts to datacenter outages. This is accomplished without confusing artifacts typical of other distributed systems (e.g., stale reads) using strongly-consistent replication as well as automated repair after failures.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file