Histogram Chart colour options

Jonathan Allen shared this idea 6 years ago
Completed

Looking to have colour options within the Histogram Charts as they currently appear with the default blue with varying opacity. This can be an issue of which often leads to unusable charts with invisible or nearly invisible data. See image below:

a3cb92bd24fd24cae99712069c7dbd76

Replies (9)

photo

Hi Mark,

I'm having trouble running into this problem using the same Ski Team data set. Is there something I'm missing here?

b2c545928b370d3cc55a53b5075f2dd7

Could you please export your report and attach to this idea so I can import.

Also, what release were your testing this on?

Thanks,

David.

photo

Further discussions within this ticket show that we have come to the conclusion that we are looking to have these colours more defined, as looking at the Metacarpus - Scapula shows how very similar they are to being the same colour.

photo

Just saw that this item as changed to Completed. Has this color issue with histograms been addressed?

photo

Hi Jonathan,

It's not an issue I was able to replicate, and as Mark is from Yellowfin I assumed it was all ok as it never raised again.

Am I missing the underlying problem here?

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi David - it looks to me like you did replicate it. Looking at your screenshot, the legend shows that a few of the categories are completely transparent (see attached). There is no way to see the values for "Carpus", "Clavicle", or "Humerus" because they are invisible (or nearly invisible). This is similar to my original screenshot that Mark posted above where one of the histogram bars has such low opacity that it is nearly impossible to see.

9bc74fdaabd3a4f52eb0d9e666251208

photo

You're right Jonathan, I completely missed that!Ok switching back to idea, and will offer some suggestions in the interim.

Regards,

David

photo

Hey Jonathan,

Idea has been logged for future review.

The only way I can see to get around this is to use conditional formats, which should help in most cases, though depending on your dimensions, may or may not be feasible.

See attached example.

Sorry for the vague info, just not something that is currently planned.

Regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

The method you proposed doesn't actually work. It is still applying varying levels of opacity to the colors you have defined, so some of the categories still disappear entirely. Furthermore those that are visible are overlayed so you can't effectively match up the colors in the legend which what is shown in the report. The approach YF takes to overlaying layers of opacity for histograms does not make a lot of sense to me. I don't know how this would ever be useful and it doesn't show you the actual total incidence for each bin. Rather it seems it should be a stacked bar where the total incidence can be easy shown along with the colors for each section. It looks like an effort was made to support this layering approach by implementing color opacity, but this was flawed both in the execution (invisible data) and the concept (don't get a usable histogram even if data was visible).

Also the example report you are using would be better without the aggregation you are setting on rating. Since a histogram is meant to show incidence, averaging is making every category just show a 1. See the example report I created in the original post. This should also make the problem far more apparent for you.

-Jon

photo

Hi Jon,

Yeah I've never really used Histograms before, but I do understand the problem with opacity. The task raised internally provides multiple examples, including the initial one you raised so I'm sure it's all understood within the task.

Apologies again, though if there are any changes, we will let you know for sure!

Regards,

David

photo
photo

Hi Jonathan,

Just wanted to let you know this items has been addressed in Yellowfin 9 with a massive re-write on how charts/colors/legends are handled.

If you still have issues with this in 9.2, please let me know and I'll jump right on it.

Thanks,David

photo

Hi David,

Jonathan is no longer with the company, but I will be happy to pass this note along to our teams here at Saama.

Thanks for the update.

Cheers!

-Dan

photo

Thanks Dan for letting me know! Hope you enjoy your weekend.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file