Is there a way to PDF export a dashboard like a report with sections?

Zack Wilson shared this idea 2 years ago
Not Planned

I am trying to find a way to toggle through a list of filters and export each filter/bookmark to PDF. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Zack

Replies (11)

photo

Hi Zack,

Yes this was introduced in 9.3, please see our Wiki here: https://wiki.yellowfinbi.com/display/yfcurrent/Exporting+a+dashboard

There are some requirements before you can see the option, however. See here: https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/yellowfin-9-3-and-exporting-dashboardspresent-to-pdf

I hope that helps!

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Chris,

Thank you for getting back with me. I apologize... I wasn't sure how to state my question properly.

I know how to manually toggle the filters and export to dashboard. However, when I have multiple filters (20+) and I would like to have the export of all the individual filters, is there a way to manipulate the dashboard/filters automatically (so I do not have to go through each one and export to pdf) - similarly to how section exporting works on a report (see attached example).

photo

Hi Zack,

Apologies if I'm not wholly following here. Do you mean giving the filters default values so they don't need to be completed? Is it possible you can show me your dashboard or a short recording of what you're trying to achieve?

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Chris,

I have attached a terribly made video clip of what I am trying to accomplish.

Thanks,

Zack

photo

Hi Zack,

Thanks for sending that over, I see what you mean. Iterate through each filter option and export each one to PDF. This is likely an enhancement request. I'll set one up and confirm with you.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Zack,

I've had a little feedback on this one, can I ask what is your use case for preferring this method of exporting PDF based on the filter as opposed to using the sections feature? You should be able to add the same filter field to sections in the report builder and then export that.

Hopefully by learning a little more about why you want this implemented, we can get the dev team to take notice.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Chris,

First, I want to know if it is even possible to do so on a dashboard...? I attempted this and it did not work the same way as it does in reports... If I can get sections to work in dashboards, then this is a non-issue.

Use cases:

1. For our sales reps, it is sometimes difficult to use an ipad with yellowfin and it is not practical to pull out a laptop on the road. It is easier to pull up a quick pdf to show their customers the dashboard. (I will admit, sometimes, it is stubbornness on their part.)

2. A better use case is regarding broadcasts. Broadcasting dashboards with multiple filter values is not possible, at least easily. If I have 20+ filters, I would have to create 20+ broadcasts.

Thanks,

Zack

photo

Hi Zack,

You're right, it's not possible on a dashboard in its current form. It will only display and export if the report is set up to use single-page sections where it displays them all at once, rather than tabbed.

Thanks for adding those use cases. I've created an enhancement request for the developer team. Hopefully we can see this feature in a future version of Yellowfin!

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Zack,

Hope you had a good weekend.

I've changed this Question to an Idea and will move this to enhancement logged! :)

Enjoy the rest of your week!

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Chris,

has there been any traction with this? I have tried to accomplish via Javascript and have been running into issues.

Thanks,

Zack

photo

Hi Zack,

We've that some feedback on this and it's been decided it probably won't be done in the near future. I have been told however that it might be possible with some custom code using the SOAP API instead, but I understand that's not quite as simple as creating it with the interface.

Don't lose hope however, this may be revisited again at a later date!

Kind regards,

Chris

Leave a Comment

Attach a file