9.6.1 All Pages Fail to Load on initial load, after refreshing browser it loads.

Lex Clay shared this problem 2 years ago
Resolved

Hi Fishies,

Just done a fresh install of 9.6.1 (no content included) on a an EC2 Windows server with 4 cores & 16GB RAM (12GB allocated to YF) with the config database installed on RDS Postgres (2 core 4GB RAM). It's not the infrastructure though (see below)

On first login, after the development license warning, it just sits there with a blank page. If you refresh the window, it suddenly appears. This is the same for almost every single page you enter ( admin console, add user, configuration etc)...Browse seems to be the only page that loads in any form of usable timeframe.

After you've loaded a page for the first time, it seems to work properly every time after that, however, if you use a different browser or an incognito window, the issue returns.

The Event Cache info is showing cache hits of 94%

We have a version of 9.6.0 on the same web server with the config database on the same db server so we're confident it's not an infrastructure issue.

I've attached the log for reference but there's nothing in there at the default level that I can see. There are some null pointer errors from a previous start but they seemed to sort themselves out after restarting the webservice.

Happy to jump on a screenshare to show you what's happening if you're unable to reproduce.

Lex

Replies (3)

photo

Thanks for the detailed info Lex, this is indeed strange and not something I'm familiar with, but do think there is something with network or cache loading. Can you pass on the screens from the browser : network console? I suspect it will give us a better picture of what is going on here.

Thanks,David

photo

Hi David,

Unfortunately I had to trash the instance. I've got a few things to get sorted that take precedence but I'll spin up another 9.6.1 instance as soon as I can and send over the network console shots.

We did spot a few other potential bugs, I'll include details of them once I've got 9.6.1 up again. One I do remember is when I changed the base url it gave an error (don't remember the details I'm afraid) and kicked me out. Apologies for the vagueness, it's more of a reminder to me when I come back to this to get the details for you.

Lex

photo

Completely understand Lex, work is work, let me know when you get back around to it.. if it ever happens again of course ;)

photo
photo

Hi Lex,

Just wanted to circle back on this, as we have identified an issue which may actually be causing what you're seeing here.

The issue stems from performance issue when using Tomcat 9.0.50 and SSL/HTTPS.

Can you confirm if this may have applied to that environment?

Thanks,

David

photo

Morning/Evening David,

Yep, it was actually us that identified the issue with SSL when we were evaluating 9.7. Sneaky little problem, took a good while to narrow down. Neal has already supplied a guide to update Tomcat to 9.0.56 so feel free to close this ticket off chap, we won't be using 9.6.1 for anything.

Lex

photo

No problems Lex, thanks for all the info, and as always please let me know if you needed anything else.

Regards,

David

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file