ARM powered server?

Dean Flinter shared this problem 2 years ago
Resolved

Hi,

We're currently running Yellowfin in an x86 Linux environment on AWS but we're looking into possibly moving from the EC2 c5 series, that we're currently on, to the c6 series, which are powered by ARM processors

Just wondering if there are any issues with java running on ARM that impact Yellowfin? Thinking along the lines of issues exporting dashboards due to JavaFX not working right on ARM or something like that

Thanks

Dean

Replies (12)

photo

Hey Dean,

Thanks for reaching out with this.

Looking into this we currently aren't aware of any issues deploying Yellowfin on ARM. However we do know we don't have a supported Docker image of Yellowfin as of yet either. I should note that ARM being a newer architecture, there may be issues encountered not yet documented. As for issues with Java running on ARM that would be difficult for us to say. Looking into Oracles releases on the matter it would seem to be all good: https://blogs.oracle.com/javamagazine/post/java-on-arm-processors-understanding-aarch64-vs-x86

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Jared

photo

Thanks Jared

We'll experiment with this in the future but we've decided not to do it right away as we have some more pressing things we need to change

I'll come back with any findings when we do try it but also if you do receive feedback from other clients, I'd appreciate if you could share those here also

Thanks

Dean

photo

Hey Dean,

Hope you are well.

I wanted to let you know, our dev team is currently looking into the compatibility of the M1 processors and cloud instances.

Once there are any further updates regarding this I will be sure to provide those to you here!

Best,

Jared

photo

Thanks Jared! That'll hopefully save us the bother so!

Just to confirm, we're looking at using the EC2 C6g / C6gn instances so if they are included, that would be great

Thanks

Dean

photo

Hey Dean,

I wanted to let you know I've been sure to enquire about the EC2 C6g/ C6gn instances being included with this as well!

I will be sure to keep you posted on any updates.

Best,

Jared

photo

Thanks Jared!

We've lots of things we want to do with our production environment, clustering being the main one but moving to an ARM server could give us performance increases now while we set all that up. Cheaper too ;)

Thanks

Dean

photo

Hey Dean,

I just wanted to reach out with an update from one of our devs regarding AWS Gravition/ARM instances (C6g, M6g, R6g, etc).

Currently by switching out the Java JVM that is currently used (x86) to an ARM compatible one, which is the same thing that needs to be done to allow YF to run on the new Mac M1 chips, YF should be able to run on the AWS Gravition/ARM instances

Bellsoft have a Java 11 with Java FX version available for ARM chips - https://bell-sw.com/pages/downloads/#/java-11-lts (select linux/mac, arm then full jdk)

Let me know if you have any questions!

Best,

Jared

photo

Thanks for the update Jared. That's great news!

Just one last thing if you don't mind.

We changed our java/javafx versions because of the blank PDF issue. We used the Amazon recommendation here: https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/im-having-problems-exporting-to-pdf-in-9-3-or-above

Do you know or the dev team know if the Bellsoft combo above works for dash exports?

Thanks

Dean

photo

Hey Dean,

This is a great question.

Bellsoft have a Java FX integration which is the library Yellowfin uses for our PDF exports including Dashboard PDF exports. This being said the the Bellsoft Jafa FX would be slated to work for us here as it using Java 11 which has been shown to be one of better Java options we have used to remedy export issues.

Best,

Jared

photo

Hi Dean,

Hope you're having a good week.

Just wanted to check-in and see how it's all going. Was there anything you were needing from me to help get this resolved?

Regards,

Jared

photo

Hi Jared,

Apologies, had meant to reply sooner

Don't need anything further. We'll be experimenting with an ARM server in the near future but you can close the ticket!

Thanks

Dean

photo

Thanks for the update Dean!

I'll go ahead and mark this ticket as complete. Please feel free to reach out with any other questions or issues!

Best,

Jared

Leave a Comment

Attach a file