Is it possible to hide a report from content list while having access to open as related content?

Pratap Singh shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

HI,

I have few sub reports available in a seprate content folder , they can be only opened from main report , I think If I will ristrict access to content folder it will not allow me to open report in main report as well.

Is there any solution for this.

Regards

Pratap

Replies (1)

photo

Hello Pratap,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Please could you provide some further detail on your configuration of these reports.

How have you linked the main report to the sub reports? Are you using a drill function to do this?

In the scenario where you are using a drill anywhere the user would need to have access to both reports for the function to work correctly.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Hi Nathan,

Let me explain , These reports are linked with Drill functionaly Drill Through and Co-Display not used Drill Anywhere.

assume example , I have a 3 content folders

1 Main Reports

2 Sub Reports

A particular user/role can view all three folders but few can view only Main reports folder.

so Views and Sub Reports folders are hidden from others.

Regards

Pratap

photo

Hi Pratap,

Thank you for the clarification. In this scenario it is when the users who only have access to the report within the Main Report folder who then cannot load the main report, is that correct?

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Hi Nathan,

This is what users having access to Subfolder and View can see, in Report List and Report Output.

/00b3535e6e2aa0afbd0ecd87775cae1c

/244717f9d4307022718154846a54dec9

This is what users don't have access to Subfolder and View can see, in Report List and Report Output.

/7b710b09f38caa0b3cdfca1c9fd9914d

/c26f0237edeeacea43cc8e0b1bd90009

The user can load the main report but not subreport.

What I want

/f882e4ddb1a82f156550bafce0b5cec0

I want to hide content that is not relevant for end-users from the content list (while having access to open subreport from the main report).

Regards

Pratap

photo

Hi Pratap,

Thank you for your response, this now makes perfect sense.

I am afraid that a report/view held within a private folder cannot be read by users who do not have permission. I can understand the requirement to hide non-relevant reports from users but if you need these users to be able to see this data, even via a drill function then they would need to be able have read access to that sub-report, which would mean that in the content area they would be able to see this report.

I hope this makes sense, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Hi Pratap,

I hope you are well.

I have marked this ticket as answered, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

I think there needs to be an actual solution for this question. I have also created content folders in order to store subreports so as to keep them hidden and avoid cluttering the screen. No one would ever need to run these subreports individually as the only purpose of them is to display as a related content tab on a main report. On each of the subreports, I am able to set the Distribution setting "Email and Broadcast Security" to All Users, and users that are not permitted to see the subreport content folder can still view the reports as related content on the report emails they receive. But the same user, if viewing the main report through the Yellowfin interface, cannot see any of the related content on the main report. There would need to be a similar setting either on the user role or on each report itself to allow users to see all of the related content in reports that they have access to. Finally, I am able to hide the content folders that I use to store all of the views, and this does not affect a user's ability to run reports that use those views. So accessible reports that use non-accessible reports should be able to work the same way.

I also tried "hiding" the subreports as a workaround, but then the user is still 1. able to see the empty content folder in their list and 2. able to go to the Hidden menu and see the subreports. There is no way to hide a user's ability to see the Hidden menu option.

photo

Hi Kelly,

I hear what you're saying, though also a little unsure of where the issue lies.

Is it that you want to keep the system streamlined and not show child reports (that are only used for drill-through)?

In that case, yes you can hide the reports from the browse page (as you have found), though users will always be able to find them via the advanced search. That's still something that people have to consciously do, so unsure if that is going to be much of an issue.

Users can see a child report (they don't have access too) in the broadcast report, but not on the UI

I think this would come down to 'how' you are broadcasting, as broadcasing to actual users should take security into consideration, and they will receive the child reports but with 'no access' to view data. In this case I think you're best to split the content by audience, which is generally best practice and will allow you to easily make changes that only impact that target audience.

Users able to see an empty folder

This should not be possible as folders are hidden from the browse page if empty.

If you need to dive into the above in more detail, please raise a support ticket (I can raise it on your behalf if need be) and we can get a better understanding of your use-case and how best to assist.

Apologies if I've missed something here.

Thanks,

David

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file