Updating Yellowfin for AWS Linux AMI (9.6 > 9.7)

Harry Staszewski shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

Hello!

I've had a bit of a search around but I can't find much in the way of a guide for updating the Yellowfin AWS Linux AMI and unfortunately my Linux knowledge is generally quite fleeting so any assistance would be much appreciated!

I've uploaded the latest 9.7 update .jar to my home directory, and executed it via SSH using java -jar, however the installer is refusing to recognize the Yellowfin directory path as valid.

I'm assuming this is down to permissions, as the user I'm logged in as doesnt appear to have access to the yellowfin/appserver/webapps directory, which is as far I can tell, what the updater is inspecting to validate the correct installation directory.

My next thought would be to grant my user access to the directory, however this being an AWS AMI, I don't have or don't know how to obtain the root password to do so.

Has anyone had a similar experience trying to update an Yellowfin AWS AMI that could offer any advice or direction please?

Many thanks,

Harry

Best Answer
photo

Hey Harry,

I hope you are well!

Thank you for raising this and I am pleased you were able to find the solution :)

You are definitely not a clown with Linux! If you had never run the Yellowfin updater before, then how were you supposed to know. You did the right thing by raising this - you just managed to figure it out before we had a chance to guide you.

I am sure it will help someone :)

I hope you have a lovely weekend!

Best Wishes,

Lesley

Replies (2)

photo

Ignore me, I'm a clown, at least when it comes to Linux anyway.

Just in case it helps anyone else who is similarly inexperienced, sudo is your friend.

sudo java -jar yellowfin-x-update.jar accepted the path and ran the update in seconds.

Problem solved.

photo

Hey Harry,

I hope you are well!

Thank you for raising this and I am pleased you were able to find the solution :)

You are definitely not a clown with Linux! If you had never run the Yellowfin updater before, then how were you supposed to know. You did the right thing by raising this - you just managed to figure it out before we had a chance to guide you.

I am sure it will help someone :)

I hope you have a lovely weekend!

Best Wishes,

Lesley

Leave a Comment

Attach a file