YF Slow on Chrome ?

Tal Mickel shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

Hey!

We noticed there's a big speed difference between FireFox and Chrome browsers, not to mention Microsoft's Edge.

It doesn't matter if we developing fields, reports or dashboards, or viewing reports.

Is there a reason for the speed differences ?

Thanks !

Dor & Tal

Replies (1)

photo

Hi Tal,

This is purely down to the way the browsers handle the rendering of Javascript and the other assoicated technologies that is used for Yellowfin.

There are minor tweaks we can make to the system, but usually they do not impact overall render speed.

What kind of times are you seeing to render screens? is it consistent?

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Hey Peter,

In some cases you can actually compare speeds between Chrome and Firefox and its actually the same.

However in other cases, most of our Chrome users complaint that dashboards won't even bother to load. All you see is a blue circle going round and round for unlimited amount of time.

It happens in Firefox as well, however once you refresh the page (F5) it then works, but in Chrome it takes multiple refreshes to show any data.

photo

Hi Tal,

Thanks for the update, I think I understand what's happening now!

I believe that the database connection has either gone bad or has disconnected from the yellowfin server, so when you refresh (if it's not loading a cached version - which is Chrome's favourite thing to do!) the connection is active again and the data loads.

I suggest that you enable one or both of the following options - Volatile data sources & JDBC Verify

http://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/volatile-data-sources-what-is-it-and-when-do-i-need-it

http://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/jdbc-verify

This should fix the issue for you!

Please let me know if this resolves the problem

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Has anyone tested and verified this? We are experiencing the same issue. Interested to hear of this is a working solution.

photo

Hi Peter,

Can you give us some further information about your system?

JVM memory/system memory, number of simultaneous users, number of reports/dashboards on the system?

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Sysinfo attached

photo

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the sysinfo file.

I can see that you only have 1Gb ram assigned to the JVM. This is quite low and performance ill suffer as a result.

While the system will run happily on 1Gb - this limited amount of RAM is really only suitable for testing.

We would usually recommend a minimum of 4Gb ram assigned to the JVM along with a minimum of 8Gb physical memory on the system.

I hope this helps,

Pete

photo

Thanks Pete - can you point me in the right direction where these settings are updated please?

photo

Hello Peter,

The article below is a little old, but the mechanism is still the same (it might be a little different depending on your windows versio if you use that!)

https://www.yellowfinbi.com/resources/forum/yfforum-jvm-max-memory-thread-90378

Setting the JVM to a higher number will certainly help with speed issues.

Please let me know how you get on!

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Thanks Pete - I've upped the number to 4096 for now. We will check and review over the next few weeks. Please feel free to close this thread.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file