NULL or Empty Strings in Reference Code

Maria Luna shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

How can NULL or Empty values can be used in Reference Codes?

Replies (7)

photo

Hi Maria,

Thanks for contacting Yellowfin. We don't have any documentation on using null or empty values for reference codes, so therefore I imagine it's unlikely they are supported. You could try putting in two inverted commas, like '' to represent an empty string, but that may not work in the way you hope. I notice that if you import a CSV with reference codes that contains with an empty value, Yellowfin does not process that row and skips over it.

/476b781d063a683c0109e1cf569e583b

/a865c82add2c434ebce01982ae6d6b25

Can I ask why you'd like to use them?

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

I would like to map them as 'Unknown' and skip the process of using a calculated field to do this

photo

Hi Maria,

Yes it does look like we only have the method of adding them with the calculated field workaround. I could create a new enhancement post for this if you like, however the general feeling around null values is that they are Bad News and should be avoided where possible.

There are wildcard values for reference codes, represented by a %, if that would prove useful?

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Maria,

Hope you're having a good week.

Just wanted to check-in and see how it's all going. Was there anything you were needing from me to help get this resolved?

Another thought regarding the nulls, you could create a calculated field that converts the nulls to another value and then reference that instead.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Chris,

Yes, I wanted to skip the calculated field, but seems like the best option at the moment.

Thank you for following this up.

photo

Hi Maria,

No worries. I'll mark this as complete if you're happy with the provided solution.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Yes, that is ok.

Thank you Chris.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file