YellowFin Version Control for reporting

Abhishek shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

Hello,

Is there any version control mechanism that is implemented/ can be implemented for YellowFin Reports?

It could be very helpful when we transit from one environment to another and ensure consistency across.

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Abhishek,

Thanks for reaching out to support with your question. I'm thinking you would like to see this mechanism as part of the report import process? Currently when importing old content into a newer version, I receive this message -

e32fec01357731698fa88c49c36fd60a

Is my understanding correct here?

If so, I can check with the team to see if this would be a possibility, and whether this might be an existing task or included on a bigger roadmap. I'm not a developer but it could be a tall order to implement a "report upgrader" process that could re-structure the xml file, based on the build info, I'd think it could be possible however... conversely it's possible that we already have some of that functionality in place, and it's a simply matter of getting all the specific "import issues" identified and fixed. I'll see what our overall policy on this is currently. But it does sound like I'm following here?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

I am sorry to say, but you guessed it wrong. :)

I am talking about the version control i.e. having all the edits and historical versions (snapshots) of the project. So any moment I feel to lookup my earlier version or compare the earlier version with the latest ones, I could do that.

With this chat, I sense, this feature is not available. An integration with any version control software like TFS, SVN, Azure Repository, Git would be very helpful. Plus this might also work well with CI-CD.

Could you please take these suggestion with your development team? Hoping to see a nice upgrade in the upcoming version.

Regards,

Abhishek

photo

TFS and SVN? What century is this? Please don’t put in support for anything other than Git.

photo

Hi Stewart,

Good news - Git integration is a priority on our roadmap, no ETA for this yet though; if you'd like forward facing updates I can make a special Idea post for Git integration. Just let me know.

Thanks,

Eric

photo
photo

Hi Abhishek,

Thanks for the reply here, I think I get here you're coming from now. I know we have ways to "restore" old versions of reports with SQL queries, here is how it works for dashboards for example -

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/how-do-i-restore-an-olddeleted-dashboard

However, there's not a way to do this via the front end, and I'm thinking maybe the desired functionality here is something like -

You'd like to see a "previous versions / edits" tab in the "Report Info" popup, that allows actions like "restore" or "remove" - does this sound more accurate?

We do have this existing task, "function to restore deleted view", that partially covers this type of enhancement... does this sound like the right type of Idea that I might be able to add some additional requirements to?

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/function-to-restore-a-view-report-dashboard-that-have-been-deleted

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Abhishek,

Hope things are good on your end, just wanted to check in to see if you wanted to pursue a developer request for this type of functionality?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

Yes Please, If you could check and let the developer team know about this desire functionality. That should be of great help as many a times I change my report, Publish it, only to realize the earlier one was better.

Thanks,

Abhishek

photo

Hi Abhishek,

Thanks for the reply here. I've gone ahead and updated the existing task, and added you as an affected client to the developer task. You can follow this Idea post for updates to this task-

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/function-to-restore-a-view-report-dashboard-that-have-been-deleted\

Thanks,

Eric

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file