Budget vs Actual Reports: how to make one?

Diogo Thomaz shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

I have a number of KPIs and have budgeted and actual values for each. I want to make a table with 4 columns: the KPI name, the budgeted value, the actual value and the deviation. Each row should be a different KPI.

Bonus: If the 3 columns (budget, actual, dev) could be repeated for different time periods (for example, weeks) it would be even better!

Something like this:

/435c2866254a961c37825f08ec62e54b

Can someone help?

Thanks in advance.

Replies (6)

photo

Hi Diogo,

Thanks for contacting Yellowfin!

The first part to your request should be quite simple. A cross-tab report, with the rows containing your KPIs and the columns showing your week, budget, actual and then if it isn't already, an advanced function for the deviation (these are under statistical functions in the advanced function dialogue box).

Does something like the below layout help?

/3504912f0f2659ebc70b24d34dc8eb68

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your reply.

We are looking at budget vs actual for each KPI, so not exactly what you have here.

We created a view that has data for each kpi and has one field that specifies if it is actual or budget.

The difficulty is going from here to a table with the format I mentioned in the question.

I thought this would be something common but it appears it is not...

Will think a bit more about it.

Regards

Diogo

photo

Hi Diogo,

If you like, I could run this past one of our consultants, but depending on his availability you might come up with a solution before he gets a chance to look at it.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Diogo,

I hope things are going well over there.

Just wanted to let you know I'll be closing this request due to inactivity. However, if you ever wanted to re-visit this or have anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Regards,

Chris

photo

Hello Chris,

We found a way through a new SQL view to prepare the data in a way that can be reported more or less as we aimed for.

I was expecting this to be a typical BI report that users would frequently want to do and YF would be prepared to do but I understood it is not so...

You can close this.

Regards,

Diogo

photo

Hi Diogo,

That's great to hear that you managed to find a solution, i'll close this one off. Enjoy your week!

Kind regards,

Chris

Leave a Comment

Attach a file