outgoing email server: Can it be ses instead of smtp user in AWS?

workforce team shared this idea 3 years ago
Completed

Replies (8)

photo

Hi Team,

Thanks for reaching out to support with your question.

It's currently not possible to use the SES protocol in Yellowfin to send emails natively, but there may be a way to create a type of outside relay or connector system to get the mail transformed as desired, would this be a possibility worth exploring in this case?

There's also the possibility of creating a developer task to look into this added functionality for a future release, would you be interested in pursuing this track?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric, Thanks for your response. Could you please elaborate on the first option "there may be a way to create a type of outside relay or connector system to get the mail transformed as desired"? Would it still involve creating an smtp user in AWS?

photo

Hi Team,

I was thinking that there might be an app or connector available, that can take an SMTP encoded message sent by Yellowfin and convert it into the SES amazon formatted message... but it looks like that may be built into the AWS side of things -

Q: Does Amazon SES provide an SMTP endpoint?

Amazon SES provides an SMTP interface for seamless integration with applications that can send email via SMTP. You can connect directly to this SMTP interface from your applications, or configure your existing email server to use this interface as an SMTP relay.

In order to connect to the Amazon SES SMTP interface, you have to create SMTP credentials. For more information about creating SMTP credentials, see Obtaining Your Amazon SES SMTP Credentials in the Amazon SES Developer Guide.

Q: Can I use Amazon SES to send email from my existing applications?

Amazon SES allows you to create a private SMTP relay for use with any existing SMTP client software, including software that you develop yourself, or any third-party software that can send email using the SMTP protocol.

For more information, see Using the Amazon SES SMTP Interface to Send Email in the Amazon SES Developers Guide.
Obtaining Your Amazon SES SMTP Credentials

Using the Amazon SES SMTP Interface to Send Email

So to me, it looks like the best solution may be as simple as setting up the SMTP interface in AWS, and using the resulting SMTP server settings in Yellowfin. Perhaps this is what you're looking for here?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

We are currently using the SES SMTP interface using STMP credentials. we wanted to know if we can avoid creating the SMTP user & directly use SES API to send email. Mainitinaing STMP credentials is a huge activity since it has to be rotated periodically.

photo
photo

Hi guys,

Just wanted to check in to see if you had a chance to review my reply at this time?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Team,

I've gone ahead and created a developer task to look into this potential software enhancement. Updates to the task will be provided here as they are available. You can "like" the idea to give it increased visibility on the platform. I'll in turn mark this post as Idea Logged for now. Feel welcome to reply to this thread with any related inquiries.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

thanks Eric.

photo

Hi Nitin,

Just wanted to provide an update - We're in the process of testing an SES mail plugin, not sure if this will make it into the next version, but hopefully soon. Will update when there's an official release set.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Nitin,

Good news - devs have closed this task and tagged against upcoming version 9.7. I'll keep this marked Idea Logged until then.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Nitin,

With the release of 9.7. and 8.0.11, I'll now mark this ticket as Defect Fixed. More info on the update is available here-

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/announcement/yellowfin-8-0-11-has-been-published

Feel welcome to reach out in the future.

Thanks.

Eric

photo

great to hear. thanks for closing this loop. we willl definitely use this as we upgrade.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file