Bookmark drill states of reports on dashboards

Dillon Hoefener shared this idea 2 years ago
Completed

I would like to add the ability to bookmark drill states of reports on dashboards. I have a workaround I came up with detailed here (https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/is-it-possible-to-drill-down-multiple-levels-via-code-mode), but this solution does not apply to schedules, which is a user requirement.

I need to be able to allow users to email out a static report (PDF) that will apply a drill state based on the current state when a user creates a schedule (much like current filter values available today) and filter dashboards accordingly to prevent the necessity of our developers having to create a ton of different versions of dashboards to accommodate the user requirement.

Thanks

Replies (15)

photo

Hi Dillon,

Thanks for reaching out. I think this is a good idea - I can see an implementation having a "current drill values" option in the broadcast schedule creator, similar to the "current filter values" option, does that sound good?

1df91b8ff8ff5118a8aee5a659bd2c3b

That said, I'm running into drill bookmark issues -

1. ran a drill down report, drilled -

f324889cce5949169f0db9012bcd8e54

2. Bookmarked drill -

3eb73f46449bbd47842fe9695f5f15d7

3. saved, reloaded report, ran bookmark - NO DRILL APPLIED

f03c1814f09115746be6ee7527077563

If bookmarks for drills aren't working here, I'd imagine it'd be similar trying to broadcast them. This behavior by itself looks like a bug, that could end up being a blocker for your Idea. I'll consult the team to see how to approach this, and keep you updated.

Do you see similar behavior when trying to bookmark these drills at the report level - saving and re-applying the bookmark does not yield the correct results?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

Yes, I've never seen bookmarks apply to drill states of reports. I expected they should, but when I asked our YF consultant (Nathan S.), he told me this is expected behavior, that YF does not bookmark drill states by design.

That said, I came up with a workaround to do this via custom code, so I guess I really have 2 "enhancement" requests:

1. Enable drill state bookmarking

2. Allow broadcasting of currently applied drill states

Thanks

photo

Hi Dillon,

Thanks for the update. I think I'll touch base with Nathan on this before I submit to devs, just in case I'm missing something obvious. This ticket may get split for tracking purposes eventually. It sounds like this functionality might be a high priority request on your end? If so we can take steps to prioritize on our end as well.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

Yes, this one is a pretty high priority on my end. If possible, can you get me an update this week? My team is expecting an update on Monday morning.

Thanks

photo

Hi Dillon,

Thanks for the update, I'll be sure to circle back by the end of the week; I'm hoping we'll be able to either get something submitted to devs, or get the consulting team to look into a workaround solution similar to code mode.... I'm not entirely sure of the technical process here, but if the drill action is generating a unique hyperlink that's not registered in the DB / available to the scheduler, for example, maybe we can find a way to pass those parameters to the scheduler somehow, with something like an action button? Just imagining it from a smarter guy like Nathan's perspective haha. I'll follow up as soon as I have some answers for you.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Dillon,

I spoke with Nathan about this and he said he had you investigating a potential workaround with user parameters - were you able to try this out? If this isn't working to achieve what you're looking for, he recommends we continue investigating other options on the workaround path for now.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Eric,

Yes, I am able to use a parameter to save the drill state as I mentioned in my initial post, but these are the two issues I have with this method:

1. Drill state will not be applied to a static scheduled dashboard file, such as scheduling a PDF output of the dashboard.

2. I'm applying the drill state to a parameter string when drilling down/up on the dashboard. Since I cannot differentiate when a bookmark is applied vs. when the filter is changed via the drilling event since there isn't a bookmark event accessible via the API, I'm not sure how I can code this to allow a user to save multiple bookmarks and then apply them on the fly.

Please advise.

photo

Hi DIllon,

Thanks for the reply here. I've got my colleague John looking into "where" the drill states are located for possible extraction. We might be able to find the drill parameters and how they are being applied in the browser console.

In terms of the core functionality, our dev team has been working on implementing more "listeners" to grab the states of certain things in the app, and I was thinking this drill data could be "listened for" in Yellowfin, and subsequently included in the parameter string you're developing. Does this sound like something that could work here? I could push for a "dashboard drill status listener" function in that case.

The Idea "ability broadcast current dashboard drill states" is something I could get over to devs in the meantime, would you be interested in pursuing that at this time as well? I left out bookmarking for now, because I'm quite confident scheduling a parameter for "current drill state" is going to be significantly more straightforward to implement. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

Yes, I would like to pursue to the broadcasting of current drill states. That should check the box on the scheduling piece of this.

The other piece is how I can save multiple drill states as bookmarks. I guess I'm not understanding what you mean by listening for the drill data. The core requirement I have is to be able to save/bookmark drill states, but currently via custom code I can only do this for a default bookmark because the YF limitation is that I cannot listen for a bookmark applied event caused by the user applying a saved bookmark. This is the event listener I would like to have added. I can already listen for the drill down and drill up events via the API and work with the drill state data from there.

Thanks

photo

Hi Dillon,

Thanks for the clarification here.

I decided to just go back to square one and went with "Ability to bookmark and broadcast dashboard drill states" as the task. It should inspire some good conversation and get a solid resolution with the whole scope defined like that, I'm hoping. I'll update via this ticket.

I can see we have a request for devs in for these bookmark events to be logged to the event table; I think the followup for that would be to have the event listener pick up those actions. Maybe you'd like to see that added as an additional task for devs?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

Yes, that sounds good.

Thanks

photo

Hi Dillon,

Thanks for the confirmation. I've gone ahead and submitted the applied bookmark event listener request to devs, in a new Idea post. I've attached you to the Idea and added your organization as an affected client for tracking purposes. Updates to that task will be provided over there.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Guys,

Great news - devs have come up with a fix for this, and it is scheduled to be included in our upcoming 9.7.2 release. I'll continue to provide updates via this thread.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Dillon,

Sorry for the delay on this; this task had some complications in the end but it's in testing currently and targeted for 9.9 release in about a month. I'll confirm on release.

Thanks,
Eric

photo

Hi DIllon,

9.9 has been released, you can find the announcement here -

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/announcement/yellowfin-9-9-has-been-published

I'll go ahead and mark this Idea as Completed at this time, feel welcome to reach out in the future.

Thanks,

Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file