Add ability to use dashboard subtab globally

Dillon Hoefener shared this idea 2 years ago
Completed

I'd like the ability to use a dashboard subtab globally on a dashboard.

Use case: I have a drill down report that is used as a region hierarchy. This drives all other reports on multiple subtabs of a dashboard as a filter for the rest of the reports. I would either like to:

A. Have the ability to use a report as a "global" report, without having to replicate the report across every subtab to use the drill-down hierarchy of the report OR

B. Be able to, much like the global dashboard filters, have a section separate from the main subtab that acts as a global subtab that is retained when changing subtabs.

I know I can use global filters for these today, but when I have 10 subregion levels this gets messy in the UI for this case.

Replies (10)

photo

Hi Dillon,

Thanks for reaching out to support with your issue.

I talked to a consultant about this objective, and they said it should be possible to achieve this functionality presently through the use of Code Mode. More info can be found here -

https://wiki.yellowfinbi.com/display/yfcurrent/Dashboard+Code+Mode

If you'd like assistance with the code mode content creation process, let me know and I can get you in touch with our consulting team.

There's also a possibility of creating a developer task to specifically implement A or B, initially I can't find anything in out platform other than the idea of "sub-subtabs" which might overlap into what you're looking for, can you take a look at this post and see what you think?

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/sub-sub-tabs-with-dropdown

Let me know how you'd like to proceed here.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric, I guess I don't understand the who creating widgets ability and how it related to what I want to do. For my example, are you suggesting I can use my region selector report as a widget than be be essentially replicated across dasboards as a template component?

Maybe I'm misinterpreting.

Thanks

photo

Hi Dillon,

Based on my conversation, we could help find a way to display and filter the data in the way you're trying to with a custom solution, not sure whether it would end up being a "code widget" or some type of integration, but if you'd like more info, I can reach out to your account manager to arrange a more in depth discussion on opportunities here.

Alternatively, we could seek a proper implementation of an "ability to use report as global dashboard subtab filter" through a product enhancement request to our development team. Again, if you think the "sub-subtab" Idea is sufficient we can go that route too. Let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

A more in depth discussion would likely be helpful. I've just started exploring the use of sub-tabs and trying to design a solution in code mode, and I'm a little confused why each individual subtab has its own HTML/JS/CSS file instead of a dashboard consisting of multiple subtabs having one JS file at the dashboard scope that can then reference the subtab APIs. I would like to discuss best practices on how reusable custom code can implemented at the dashboard scope when designing dashboards with multiple subtabs.

For the longer term, ideally it would be nice to have the ability to use a template of some kind to implement a globally-scoped canvas that would be visible/usable across all subtabs without having to replicate the entities on each individual sub tab they should be displayed on.

Thanks

photo

Hi Dillon,

Thanks for the reply here, I've forwarded this to an account manager to see if we can get something scheduled in regards to this. I'll follow up shortly.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

HI Dillon,

Just wanted to check in to see if you were able to get something setup in regards to this.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Dillon,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this ticket as Completed due to inactivity at this time. Feel welcome to reach out in the future.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

I have a regular call scheduled with Nathan S at YF for tomorrow morning. I plan to bring this up with him then and see where it goes.

Thanks

photo

Hi Dillon,

Just wanted to check in to see how things went with this.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Dillon,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this ticket as Completed due to inactivity at this time. Feel welcome to reach out in the future.

Thanks,

Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file