Unwanted combining of periods in mouseover data values

Sam shared this idea 2 years ago
Completed

I have a chart whose data tab and chart both look good. Each time interval has its data points plotted correctly. However on mouseover, Yellowfin combines some adjacent periods into pairs, inappropriately summing the data. Here I have a pair of values each for 07:00 and 11:00:

/96c8c16d71993662c8d654c86f35ee7a

On the mouseover, Yellowfin combines them into a single interval:

/4186a1c56abc341923eea6c0c1727118

The points are plotted correctly, but the mouseover is misleading as it sums the values and doesn't show the full combined timestamp. (It also incorrectly has added a circle to the green and red lines). This only happens when I put my cursor between lines; when I mouse over a single line, it behaves as expected.

Is there a way I can force each mouseover value to be a single period? Or if it's a matter of my data resolution exceeding the available pixels, could I control the aggregation so at least it averages those two adjacent values? I have set the field to have Totals -> % Average in the Data tab, but that didn't change anything.

Replies (8)

photo

I updated the original post to indicate that this only happens when I mouseover between lines, not over a single line. Which makes it only a minor problem, as I can tell my users to mouse over a single line. That said, if there's a way I can make that aggregation be an average over the period, not a sum, that would still be an improvement. Thanks.

photo

Hi Sam,

Thanks for reaching out to support with your issue.

Thanks also for the additional clarification, I was gonna ask haha!

So from the sound of it, there is some aggregation happening between the lines on the tooltip that is not useful, and the desired behavior would be to have the cursor position "snap onto" the nearest line for the tooltip values, does that sound accurate?

I can see similar behavior in my initial testing - there's some weird auto aggregation the tooltip is doing in certain areas between the lines.

e02a069f9f5bd9984550bfc00d4786a1

I can see a fair amount from your screenshot, but could you provide details on the report and chart's configuration for a more accurate replication? I'll reach out to the team to see if there's a way to adjust this in the meantime; so far the GUI settings look a little limited.

Thanks, Eric

photo

Hi Sam,

Just wanted to check in to see if you had a chance to review my reply at this time?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Sorry for the delay, I've been out of the office. Yes, your understanding is right. If I mouse over any one line, I get a specific data point with a single timestamp - good. But when I mouse between the lines, the tool tip appears to pull the closest data point for each of the lines. This results in unwanted aggregation, like in your picture - it both creates a date period that is too long to read on the mouseover, and sums the values.

Preferable behavior for me would be:

• Instead of making periods, only show the series data points that have a single data point for the exact value I'm mousing over.
  • If that's not possible, then allow control of how the data points are aggregated when a period is created. I'd prefer to average, here, not sum. This option could pop up when such a chart with aggregation is created.

What report/chart details would be helpful? It's a Line chart, with time series for the horizontal axis, a numeric for the vertical axis, and a dimension for the color. It runs on a simple SQL query, SELECT * from a SQL Server View, and has 6000 records

Edit to add: this isn't urgent, more of a feature request that I wanted to make for a future release.

Thanks,

Sam

photo

Hi Sam,

Thanks for confirming for me. I've gone ahead and raised a task for devs to look into implementing this functionality into a future build. Updates to this task will be provided here as they are available. I'll in turn mark this ticket as Idea Logged for now; feel welcome to reply here with any related inquiries.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Sam,

I've got an update from devs for you -

I got some good news, this behaviour has been fixed on a separate task  and will be released as part of the 9.6.1 release. The fix prevents more than one point for each trend series to appear on the tooltip on hover. 

Would this be enough of a "fix' for you in this case? If not, I can adjust the task to focus on the aggregation options mentioned previously.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

HI Sam,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this ticket as Completed due to inactivity at this time. Feel welcome to reply here if you'd like to re-visit this.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

Yes that would be satisfactory fix. This ticket can be marked as completed. Thanks for getting this included in version 9.6.1!

Sam

Leave a Comment

Attach a file