Imported dashboard bringing elements from all subtabs to first subtab

Philipp U. shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

Hi YF community,

I am being haunted by a dashboard. It has decided to put everything from tabs 2-3 into tab one every time I publish the dashboard. Reports, shapes, buttons, new reports, anything. I imported it and deleted some old reports through code mode before I started working on it as Yellowfin wouldn't let me delete the reports myself. Is anyone aware of any open bug tickets that vaguely sound something like this? I'm using 9.4.2

Is the dashboard cursed forever or can I salvage this? I would post screenshots but it is little more than a jumble of mess on the first dashboard tab.

Many thanks,

Philipp

Replies (7)

photo

Hi Philipp,

Thanks for reaching out to support with your question,

Could you provide the specific build version you are experiencing this with? Here is my testing in 9.5.1

Created "subtabs dashboard, added subtabs 1 and 2, here is the original order -

c28180f6ccccb5d6d6bc891361483232

Added some content to subtabs -

b292355da34709131c51e7b35d33f17e

8cbbe494f418c08040a077cbb5eb6bf1

So Next I think I will export, then remove some content in code mode, does that sound correct?

Thanks, Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

Hope you're well. Thanks for your reply. I am assuming something went wrong with the import process. While importing, I changed the data source to a different one. The reports that were on the dashboard previously broke. I could not delete the reports in canvas mode, when I clicked on them I had no options, I tried pressing the delete button on my keyboard to no avail. So I went into code mode, and I deleted the following in reference to them:

<report-output widget-uuid=-omitted-></report-output>
This got rid of the old reports, but ruined everything else. Things seem to "leak" from subtabs 2,3 to subtab 1 regardless of what I do.

Looking at code mode, if I now add a report to subtab 2 and publish, I won't find the report subtab 2 but rather in subtab 2. Code mode reflects this, as I will find the snippet above for the new report in subtab 1.

Stranger still, if I add rectangles or other shapes to subtab 2, it forgets I added them entirely and doesn't include them in any dashboard.

Hope this helps, but I'm assuming this is a very niche bug down to the flaws in the import/export functionality.

Kind regards,

Philipp

photo

HI Phillip,

Thanks for the update here. Would you be able to provide a copy of the affected YFX and some screenshots of the code for reference?

Thanks, Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

I'm afraid I can't provide the affected YFX without making this ticket private. I can say that this now is affecting multiple entirely unrelated dashboards. I think I am able to describe the issue a little better now. I have been getting trolled pretty hard by these issues recently.

The issue comes from:

• Exporting and importing a dashboard with multiple subtabs
  • Having code mode enabled
  • The Yellowfin HTML "autocorrector" that generates unique UUIDs

I can easily replicate this issue now, but this trolling extends far beyond the issue I described above, namely:

• I have rectangles on the dashboard to change subtabs. Sometimes these change me to the subtab I expect, sometimes they send me to random subtabs (i.e. I am on subtab 2, the button action is to go to subtab 1 -> actually sends me to subtab 3
  • Adding ANY content (images, reports, shapes) leaks from subtab 2-N back to subtab 1 after publishing and refreshing a few times. This is only "resolved" by repeatedly deleting the content in code mode and readding it to the relevant subtab (2-3 times usually fixes it)
  • Sometimes when I make a change (e.g. changing a font) and publish on a subtab that isn't subtab 1, it forgets this change after I publish. This doesn't seem to resolve no matter how many times I publish

I highly suspect this is down to the HTML autocorrector and some bug in the import/export system. I'd be happy to explain over a screen share, but I suspect it is pointless to share a YFX as this affects many dashboards.

Kind regards,

Philipp

photo

Hi Philipp,

Thanks for the additional info. I think I can get some things tested with the additional info provided here, I'll let you know how it goes.

Alternatively, I did check our developer platform with the new insight, and saw this task, which was completed in 9.5 -

Added a new PublishUUID attribute that replaces the use of the WidgetUUID attribute on in code mode / JS API / code widgets for new and updated widgets. This allows users to identify widgets in a more unique way with a persistent identifier across dashboard edits and versions.

Import/Export

These publishUUIDs should be dealt with during import/export
Based on your uuid adjustment earlier that helped some aspects of the import of this content, this sounds like a really promising development that may impact the behavior you're experiencing in a version older than the fix. Is an upgrade test viable on your end?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Phillip,

Just wanted to check in to see if you had a chance to do an upgrade test at this time?

Thanks, Eric

photo

Hi Phillip,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this question as Answered due to inactivity at this time. Feel welcome to reach out in the future.

Thanks, Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file