SELECT DISTINCT for View

Zack Wilson shared this problem 3 years ago
Defect Fixed

I have a view that if "DISTINCT" were simply added to the SQL Query, I would not duplicate rows. I tried to turn on/off the "Show Duplicate Records" and nothing changed. How do I fix this?

-Zack

Replies (3)

photo

Hi Zack,

Thanks for reaching out.

You can toggle SELECT and SELECT DISTINCT in a reports SQL by clicking the 'Show Duplicate Records' option in the Report Builder:

/48916bcf186b969d09fba180343598f8

Off (Default) = SELECT DISTINCT

On = SELECT

At the View Level there's the Show Duplicate Records option in the View Options > Performance menu. However, I do see that toggling it does not change the SQL, so I suspect this to be defective.

As such, I've gone ahead and submitted a defect for this and hopefully using SELECT DISTINCT at the Report Level will be a suitable option for the time being.

Any potential updates regarding this will be posted here.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Thank you!

photo

Hi Zack,

You're welcome!

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Zack,

The fix for this defect has caused some problems because it's forced users' who had the toggle off at the report level to on, so I have a follow-up question: do you just want to be able to toggle this for the preview of the data at the view level? Or are you expecting something else to happen?

Basically, we're going to revert back to the old behavior of this functionality, which is that the Suppress Duplicates option being set at the View will be the default for what's in reports that are subsequently built on said View, but it won't change anything in the View itself.

Then, the idea is that there will be a separate toggle in the Prepare stage of the View so that the duplicates can be suppressed:

/37830c6a7c5e501df2b614341f215e8a

I just wanted to confirm whether this works for you.

Regards,

Mike

photo
photo

Hi Zack,

Just writing to let you know that the build containing this fix, 9.6 is now published.

For your convenience, here are a couple direct links for this build:

9.6: .jar / .exe

You can also download the latest full installers here.

Please download the update installer for the latest build and test and let us know if you run into any issues.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

Pretty sure this wasn’t intended for me.

Thanks,

Andrew

Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 8:56 AM

To: Andrew Clauson <andrew@profinancial.bc.ca>

Subject: New Comment in "SELECT DISTINCT for View"

photo

Hi Andrew,

This is a public Problem item and I see you're subscribed to it. There are 2 votes on the task, so you may have voted for it at some point (and forgot about it, haha), which would have added you to the Subscriber list.

If you are interested after all, now you know! If not, I've gone ahead and removed you from the Subscriber list regardless!

Regards,

Mike

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file