Data source not listed in View's change database dropdown

Sam shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

I have a View whose data source I want to change, from one database to another. In Yellowfin I can see the dropdown where I would do this, pictured here; https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/how-to-change-view-datasource#comment-74943

But the database I want is not available in the dropdown. Do you have ideas for what settings or aspects I could investigate and change so that I can switch from my test database to my production database?

Replies (10)

photo

Hi Sam,

Thanks for reaching out. If you head into Administration > Admin Console > Data Sources, do you have other Data Sources available there? Whatever shows up there, should show up in the change Data Source options at the View-level. If the Data Source you're looking for is not there, then you'll have to add the appropriate Data Source, at which point the desired Data Source should be available to be pointed to when editing the View.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Yes, I have the desired data source available in Admin Console > Data Sources. But it's not showing up in the change Data Source options at the View-level.

photo

Hi Sam,

I think my response was incomplete. There is a caveat to this functionality: you can only switch to Data Sources that are on the same RDBMS. Please confirm whether you are trying to change to a Data Source that's on another Database in your example, because if so, it is expected behavior that that option would not be available.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Ah, that is it, thanks for clarifying - this is a migration from Test to Production and those are different RDBMS. From that thread I linked above, it sounds like my best bet is changing that data source at the time of import/export?

photo

Hi Sam,

I just wanted to check in and see how things are going with this.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

Please see my most recent post, just before yours above. I will eventually be migrating reports like this often from our test environment to our production environment, so will see about changing the data source at a different stage in the process.

Thanks,

Sam

photo

Hi Sam,

Ah, I see what happened. I had a tab already open for this ticket, so when I checked in I didn't see your response populate. Sorry about that.

Thanks for confirming. Yes, you can change the Data Source at time of Import, just make sure that whatever data source you move the report into has all the same tables that the report would need and make sure your reports aren't referencing custom/RDBMS-specific data types at the db level as there could be compatibility issues.

Anyways, please let me know how goes in testing this method.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Sam,

I just wanted to check in and see how things are going with this.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

Thanks for checking. Let's close this ticket, it maybe a while until I try out the migration via import/export and I think it's mostly settled in this thread. If I have trouble later, I'll reply here or open a new ticket as appropriate.

Thanks,

Sam

photo

Hi Sam,

Sounds good. Thanks for getting back to me!

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file