Permissions: Private Reports + Composite Views

Dean Flinter shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

Hi,

We were updating permissions on some roles today and we couldn't find permissions relating to private reports or composite views.

We definitely saw private reports when on v8. Have these been removed or is their visibility dependant on another option being ticked?

Thanks

Dean

Replies (7)

photo

Hi Dean,

Apologies for the delay on this. I have double checked this, and there is no setting to enable or disable Private Reports specifically, but Composite Views are definitely an option under Data Sources & Views:

7a9c7512682c867ae2f5c434378474dc

Can you provide me with a bit more information about what you are looking to achieve and I can provide some guidance on the required permissions changes?

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Neal,

See a screenshot below for the same section on our system. Composite Views just isn't there

Seems like Mandela effect for us re the private reports. Myself and a colleague were fairly sure we saw the option before but I found some old screenshots and yeah, it's not there.

We want to stop users creating private reports as we want administrators to have full visibility on what is created, without having to make changes to the config db all the time (as described here: https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/a-stored-procedure-that-allow-an-administrator-to-view-all-private-reports)

Thanks

Dean

photo

Hi Dean,

I need to do some more digging on the missing Composite Views, but I do have some follow up questions to try and narrow it down:

1. What database types do you have as your datasources (Snowflake, MS SQL, etc)?
  2. Are any of these set to Writeable in the datasource config?
  3. Was this instances upgraded from a previous version or a fresh install?

As for stopping users creating private content, at this stage the only way to do this is to stop them from being able to create all types of reports. With this being said, there is current work being done that (hopefully in 9.3) will have a Super User added to the system, allowing them to view/edit/delete/export all content, irrespective of content type (possibly irrespective of security) which should allow you to see all content created.

Hopefully with some more details on the configuration you are running I might be able to find why Composite Views aren't showing.

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Neal,

1. Yeah it's a Snowflake datasource
  2. Short answer is no. We have a defect logged for this as we can't create a writeable one through the UI. There is a manual fix by editing the connection string in the config DB but we haven't implemented this yet
  3. Yeah it's an upgrade from v8

Re the private reports, we have used folder permissions to only allow the users to save in a particular set. These folders require approval from a senior user. Will we get a notification if a normal user tries to save a private report in these folders?

Thanks

Dean

photo

Hi Dean,

Thank you for your patience on this. Composite views are no longer being included in Yellowfin (I have an old legacy licence, and there is a bug that allows the option to be displayed), but I could not find anything much about this. I will see if I can get some more details, but from what I can gather, using advanced sub-queries on reports is more robust.

Private reports are not subject to approval, so they will still be able to create them without notification. I will raise a separate idea for a Role permission on Private reports to be able to turn this on/off in a future version.

Please let me know if you have any questions on the above.

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Neal,

Is there any news on this topic as I am also wanting to have in the Role permission an indicator "Private reports" to be able to turn this on/off. Basically I do not want users to be able to created private reports as well.

Kind regards,

Jaco

photo

Hi Jaco,

At this stage this enhancement has not been added to the backlog, so I am unable to provide a further update on this. What I have done however is to add you as a subscriber to the Idea post (found here) so that if this does become a feature in future, you will be notified.

Cheers,

Neal

photo
photo

Hi Neal,

Thanks for the update!

I actually don't have a use for composite views right now but previously I did find them useful for some tasks. I thought I'd enable them anyway and I figured it was a bug that the option was not there, Hopefully advanced sub-queries will cover all my future needs!

Thanks

Dean

photo

Hi Dean,

Glad to hear this isn't a blocker for you. Please let me know if you have any issues with the sub-queries and we can look at getting you some assistance as required.

Cheers,

Neal

Leave a Comment

Attach a file