Extend parameter functionality by adding custom LOV

Dillon Hoefener shared this idea 2 years ago
Idea Logged

I would like the ability to create a custom list of values for a parameter that the report/dashboard user can select from. Currently, parameters are limited to a free-form text field that the user must enter text for. This requires the user to know exactly what text needs to be entered as a parameter.

It would be very helpful to have the option as a report developer to set a predefined LOV for a parameter so the user can select the parameter value from a list of options.

The use cases for this are many. One example is that I have a database function used for tuning query performance based on configuration options for an aggregate function. A report user would never know what to enter as db function parameters without reading some documentation that wouldn't make sense to them. Instead, if they had a LOV to select from with user friendly options at report runtime then they would intuitively know how to use the parameter/filter.

This would be great to have this along with the ability to have a code and display name configuration much like how reference codes are configured. The code value would be what I would actually feed to the db as a SQL parameter and the display name would be the option the user would see that is connected to the code value.

Currently, the only way I can think of to do something like this is a long workaround to create a virtual table with this kind of code/display name as a lookup table, join to the data table, and then use the values in the virtual table as filter options. That is far from ideal and requires unnecessary SQL joins.

Thanks

Replies (3)

photo

Hi Dillon,

I hope all is well,

Thank you for raising this here at Yellowfin, from what I can see this looks like a valid idea request, reading through the use case would be beneficial to what you are wanting to achieve.

With this Dillon, I have gone ahead and raised this as an Enhancement ticket with our development team. If you require any updates, please do not hesitate to reach out, I would be more than happy to assist where I can.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Good to hear, thanks Mark!

photo

Hi Dillon,

No problem.

Regards,

Mark

Leave a Comment

Attach a file