Report border cutting off pie chart labels on dashboard

Stephen Johnson shared this problem 5 years ago
Completed

I've got a pie chart that I've added to one of my dashboards. When I visit the dashboard the labels are being placed in such a way that they are cut off by the report border. Is there a way to prevent this? When I visit the full screen view of the same report, the labels are not obstructed.

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately, the only options here are to resize the report on the dashboard, use a legend instead of labels, or try using Custom font/font sizes in the Charts stage and keep playing with it on dashboard to see how it appears. Reports on dashboards are dynamically sized, not pixel perfect, so sometimes it takes some adjusting to appear correctly. In my testing, both making the chart smaller and larger on the dashboard can make the labels appear correctly, so I think just messing with the sizing on the dashboard is your answer here:

28b1cf5a1b68993620905230acf84c69

Regards,

Mike

photo

Playing with the size did allow me to get one particular chart to look okay. As I messed with my filters I was able to produce a chart where all the labels were within the frame, but two of the labels were overlapping each other (on a chart with only 3 sections, and there seemed to me plenty of white space the labels could be spread out into). I know it's not simple to program a label placement algorithm that will handle any number of labels for any combination of slice sizes, but there's definitely room for improvement in Yellowfin's algorithm.

photo

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your response. I understand your frustration. There is a complete dashboard redesign forthcoming with Version 8, which is tentatively slated for release towards end of Summer, so I'm hoping that will improve upon this aspect! I know just messing around with the pieces of the chart/placement on dashboard isn't ideal, but hopefully you can still build dashboard's that are functional and that you're happy with in the mean time. That being the case, I'm going to go ahead and mark this as Resolved. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Mike

photo

This continues to be an issue as I work with pie charts. I really feel that Yellowfin's code which is dynamically placing chart labels need to be revisited and improved upon. Below is an example where your formulas placed labels overlapping one another when there was plenty of other room for those labels to be placed in. A tool designed expressly for visualizing data should not literally obscure the data from the user. Please log this as a defect:

photo

Hi Stephen,

Sorry to hear you're still struggling with this. I've gone ahead and raised a defect. Any potential updates regarding this matter will be posted here.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike, I still experience this in YF 9.3 so just noting/voting for this issue and hoping it the defect can be addressed?

Thanks,

Brendan

photo

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for reaching out. I've gone ahead and added you to the client list in our internal task of those being impacted by this defect. I should note though there's an additional potential workaround in 9.3. There are the old grid-style Dashboards that you'd see in previous versions, but there are also now Canvas Dashboards, which allows you to resize Chart widgets manually to pretty much any size you want, anywhere you want, on the Dashboard, which should allow for all the labels to display in situations they may not have when locked to a grid.

There are currently no further updates in the task, but the additional vote is noted!

Regards,

Mike

photo

Just throwing my 2 cents in on this one...

Having the ability to adjust the length of the lines between the label and the chart would be a help with this issue. We frequently have to use JS charts for donut/pie charts rather than the inbuilt ones for this very reason.

photo

Thanks for your 2 cents Lex!!! Much appreciated that you've passed on an alternative solution :) Keep em coming!

photo

Hi Mike,

We're still getting complaints of cutoff labels and overlapping labels on Canvas in 9.5.1. The latest cutoff label was solved by increasing the height of the visual, but the labels are dynamic so we have to keep monitoring for incomplete text.

Thanks,

August

photo

Hi August,

Thanks for your feedback. I've gone ahead and added your comment to the task and due to the number of requests on this, have also bumped the priority in our internal task. I hope to have further updates soon.

Regards,

Mike

photo
photo

We're using version 9.8.2.1 and this issue is still happening.
fc1f3fc532f2b50b6234d5a579c3c1a5

photo

Hello Jasper,

Hope you are doing well

Please allow me sometime to look into this, I'll get back to you with my results.

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hello Jasper,

Hope you are doing well

Just wanted to let you know that I was able to reproduce the issue and had the same problem. I investigated and found that the identical issue has been assigned to a new JIRA and will be fixed in a future pack. For your reference and to keep you informed of updates, I'm adding the new Jira id here.

Note: As of now, you can change the label font as a work around to see if it works for you.

Kind Regards,

Yamini Naidu

Leave a Comment

Attach a file