Date filters are limiting user prompt values

Angelo Rigakis shared this idea 3 years ago
Completed

Hello,

YF: 9.3.1

I am having some data issues when using date filters, and I can recreate the issue within your demo ski team data set.

Please see the attached pictures.

I create a simple report with the fields:  Camp Region and Invoiced Date, and I use both of these in the filters.  When I leave the date filter field blank, I can see all the Camp Region values, but if I populate the date filter, then my Camp Region filter is blank.  I think that this is because there are no Region records that fall within the date range.

Why is the date filter limiting my ability to choose in this case Regions?

This is also happening on our servers hosting YF: 7.4.14.

Thank you,

Angelo

Replies (12)

photo

Hi Angelo,

Thanks for reaching out to support. And thanks for this very easy replication process!

I was able to see this myself - and it looks like it's a function of the "allow prompt" setting of the user prompt filter. Based on the language, I believe yellowfin will query the DB for available filter options at the time of the search. This appears to include the other set filter.

535d140ecc88c3da6fcceb9090153e9a

5c88d0b415634245c618e4eb88ef45e3

So now we must play the game "Bug or Feature?" haha!

The only time I could get the filter to apply was when using the textbox and search function, other filter formats showed all values.

6e00b9a279d4d38b695024d98bb038e3

So I'm thinking what we would need here is some kind of option to have the user prompt search NOT query for values, and instead use cached values. Does this sound correct? If so, I could request this functionality to devs and see what they come back with. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

Applying your suggestion did not resolve it, we still have a short list.

So I try :

In the entry list - Value List selection -  Cached Values  >> short list

Then

Custom query – checkboxes  enter the query – and receive this :

This filter is dependent on another filter.

Your query should return these columns:

1 Access Filter: CASEUSERNAME

2: Resolution

Still give a short list.

I also did a test using an old yf version >>> I don’t have this issue all value are display in the filter list.

The version is:

073822ab83d879095e78db1c6e2bca08

Thank you

Mich

Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2020 2:54 PM

To: Michel Salomon <MSalomon@i-sight.com>; Angelo Rigakis <arigakis@i-sight.com>

Subject: [EXTERNAL] Date filters are limiting user prompt values [#19925]

photo

Hi Michel,

Thanks for testing that, the access filter may be impacting, are you able to remove the dependency and test?

Just to keep the issue and resolution concise though, I think I can ask devs to try to fix the initial issue, which I have replicated even without an access filter - you want the ability to see all values on a user prompt popup, that override a selected date filter, correct?

fad74545689c18093839867b115ff767Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Michel,

Just wanted to make sure I had this dev task correct in your eyes before submitting?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Good morning Eric,

Yes we are looking for the ability to see all available user prompt values even when there is a date range selected, as currently the date range is limiting our pick lists.

And I’m super happy that you were able to replicate this in your database as sometimes we feel a bit crazy!

Thanks again,

Angelo

Sent: Monday, November 23, 2020 6:21 PM

To: Michel Salomon <MSalomon@i-sight.com>; Angelo Rigakis <arigakis@i-sight.com>

Subject: Date filters are limiting user prompt values [#19925]

photo

Hi Angelo,

Thanks for the reply here. I've gone ahead and created a developer task to look into this issue. Updates to the task will be provided here as they are available. I will in turn mark this as Idea Logged for now; feel welcome to reply here with related inquiries.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Thank you very much for the help Eric.

Angelo

Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 1:48 PM

Subject: Date filters are limiting user prompt values [#19925]

photo

Hi Angelo and support,

I can see the same characteristics in this user prompt functionality.Apparently the user prompt results are dependent on the chosen values for the other filters. By the way Angelo, you mentioned the use of a date (range) filter, but with other type of filters I see the same limiting effect.

My question is whether this user prompt behaviour has changed since version 9.x? I have a user who claims that in version 8 in the same report the user prompts results were independent from other filter values.

In addition: Our report is based on one table only, so all filters work on the same table.

@support: I hope you have an answer to my question.

Thanks in advance.

photo

Hi Hugo,

Thanks for reaching out. Good news - Devs have implemented a code change that will be included in upcoming 9.6 release, so this should be working "again" soon.

I see one possibly related dev task in our system that may be investigated shortly, and could shine some light as to whether this was once working, or if another task changed the behavior.

Prompt Filter on Minus Sub Query report - The wrong filter values are available.
Do the affected reports contain sub-queries in this case?

Will keep you up to date here.

Thanks, Eric

photo

Hi Eric, sorry for the somewhat belated response.

No there is no sub-queries in that report. It is straightforward, one db-table , one YF view on top of it and a simple report with a set of filters.By the way, I missed the statement earlier in the original message from Angelo, saying that this functionality works the same way as in version 7.4:

"This is also happening on our servers hosting YF: 7.4.14."

So from that statement I conclude that it is not new behaviour.

Regards,

Hugo.

photo

Thanks for the reply here, Hugo.

Glad to hear the sub-query nuance does not impact you in this case, it may be something to keep in mind going forward however. Here's some info from the updated completed task - I'll keep this Idea open until release in the meantime.

Updated Testing Details

The fix for this involved adding a new filter format that controls the behaviour of the filter value prompt pop up. It will only appear if the Allow Prompt toggle is on; it is toggled off by default to match the current default behaviour.
The current default behaviour is that any filter value that is set on any of the other filters in the filter list will affect what prompt values appear in the prompt pop up (i.e. the SQL to generate the prompt list will include the currently set filters so not all possible filter values may be displayed).
When the new format is toggled on, it will display a list of all of the possible filter values i.e. it will not include any of the set filter values when generating the list of prompt values.
Thanks, Eric

photo

Hi Hugo,

Good news - a fix for this has been included in our recent 8.0.10 release.

More info can be found here -

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/announcement/yellowfin-8-0-10-has-been-published

As such, I'll go head and mark this Idea as Completed. Of course, let me know if you have any issues post-upgrade.

Thanks, Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file