Import feature not working

Philipp U. shared this problem 2 years ago
Resolved

Hi Yellowfin Community,

I am trying to import a dashboard. I am receiving this message:

/a0239af86f9b089c6777742b836697f4

I *think* I have isolated the problem down to a single view, but I have no idea what the resolution for this could be. I am using the option to "Use existing sources" and I have tried with or without the option of using existing folders. I read a thread from 2012 that it might be a Yellowfin versioning issue. I think that is not the case here as the view was created recently. I am using Yellowfin 9.4.2

Anyone have any ideas for what I could try to fix this bug? I wish the error message was a little more concise.

Kind regards,

Philipp

Best Answer
photo

I found the steps to replicate this bug:

Create a freehand SQL view, include the schema name in the from statement, i.e.:

SELECT * FROM schema_name.table
Export this (if the export feature works successfully)

Attempt to import and change the data source to use a different existing data source (different schema name)

The import will fail.

I note this thread from 2012: https://www.yellowfinbi.com/resources/forum/yfforum-lack-of-error-detail-when-failed-to-import-thread-118860

I think it would be very helpful to have clear errors in Yellowfin, would it be possible for the developers to consider this again?

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Philipp,

Thanks for reaching out. Can you please re-replicate the issue where you get to the "Oh no!..." error, take note of the timestamp, then subsequently provide said timestamp, along with a compressed copy of your entire logs folder, located at <YellowfinInstall>/appserver/logs so we can investigate further.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

I found the steps to replicate this bug:

Create a freehand SQL view, include the schema name in the from statement, i.e.:

SELECT * FROM schema_name.table
Export this (if the export feature works successfully)

Attempt to import and change the data source to use a different existing data source (different schema name)

The import will fail.

I note this thread from 2012: https://www.yellowfinbi.com/resources/forum/yfforum-lack-of-error-detail-when-failed-to-import-thread-118860

I think it would be very helpful to have clear errors in Yellowfin, would it be possible for the developers to consider this again?

photo

Hi Philipp,

Thanks for your response. Before attempting replication, I want to make sure either this stack trace isn't already logged, or when we do replicate, to make sure we're experiencing the same error (as per the logs). Can you please provide the stack trace that's generated when you see the oh no error?

In terms of error message logging, these are typically considered when addressing bugs as they come along, and may be able to be addressed on a case-by-case basis. For example, there are vast differences in error messages relayed in the UI between say version 7.3 and 9.5, for instance, so this is essentially on ongoing process. The forum link you've provided would only apply to that specific case, which I can't say as of right now whether you're experiencing the same issue without the stack trace from the logs.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Philipp,

I just wanted to check in and see how things are going with this.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Philipp,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this one as Resolved since I haven't heard back from you, but if you have further questions or concerns on this, if you respond, it will re-open the case and put it back in my queue and I'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file