change data source from mysql to sql server

Steve Kay shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

We are changing a yellowfin source database from mysql to sql server. The schema will remain the same. Can I change the yellowfin source database settings to the new database and expect my existing reports to work?

Best Answer
photo

Hi Steve,

I don't think I can give a definitive answer to this, Yellowfin generates different SQL according to which database is being used, and then that SQL mightn't compatible with the database you change to, and Yellowfin won't regenerate the SQL. For example, MySQL and SQL Server treat the concept of a database schema differently. And then there can be other differences such as database functions that you may have used within calculated fields, and also there can be different SQL syntax rules such as aggregations and grouping.

So at a guess, I would say that the reports won't work, however you may as well give it a try in your TEST environment anyway.

regards,

David

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Steve,

I don't think I can give a definitive answer to this, Yellowfin generates different SQL according to which database is being used, and then that SQL mightn't compatible with the database you change to, and Yellowfin won't regenerate the SQL. For example, MySQL and SQL Server treat the concept of a database schema differently. And then there can be other differences such as database functions that you may have used within calculated fields, and also there can be different SQL syntax rules such as aggregations and grouping.

So at a guess, I would say that the reports won't work, however you may as well give it a try in your TEST environment anyway.

regards,

David

photo

Hi Steve,

I'm just cleaning up my work list and I noticed this Question is still open, do you approve of its status being changed to "Answered" or is there a further question on the topic that you would like to ask?

regards,

David

photo

Please mark as "answered" - thanks!

photo

thanks Steve!

Leave a Comment

Attach a file