Report/dashboard slow in updating - what determines this?

Roar Iversen shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

Hi,

I'm building a report by joining, union sub-query, 14 views. The report has become very slow in updating ~10 minutes or more. What determines performance?

I've tried using Chrome and Firefox without any difference.

The combined report consists of ~55000 rows which I would assume is not a large amount of data.

The resulting report consists of 13 columns.

Since I'm displaying charts I assume the Active Row Limit must be set to ~55000 rows?

As the purpose is to provide a list of data is it best only to work with the table, skip the charts, and have the Active Row Limit set low, 10000?

I've noticed that the views have a number of fields not contributing to the data. Does this matter?

Is the union sub-query requiring lots of resources causing the performance to suffer?

Any suggestions welcome.

br Roar

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Roar,

Thank you for reaching out to us on this. There can be a number of factors that influence performance, some of which may be due to the number of views being joined as sub-queries (especially if any of these views are based off different data sources). The number of rows does not sound like that would be the cause of the slowness.

I do have some initial questions that will help me better understand your environment:

1. Is this system still on 8.0.2?
  2. Do any other reports run slowly or is it just this one?
  3. Is this report always slow to update?
  4. Could you include a screenshot of the System Resources section of the System Information page (found under Administration)

To try and narrow down where the bottle neck is it would be worthwhile making a copy of the report (so as to keep the main report intact) and then systematically removing components of the copied report (ie removing the chart - how is performance? removing one of the sub-queries - how is performance? etc). This will help you see where the time to run changes and we can look to make decisions from there.

The other piece of this to look at is the System Resources allocated for Yellowfin. Have a look at the underlying server while the report is running, is it using a lot of CPU or RAM? Also, check the yellowfin.log for any OutOfMemory errors in there to ensure the system is not running into issues somewhere along the line.

Hopefully that will at least provide you with some basic troubleshooting steps to begin with. Please let me know if you have any further questions as your investigations continue.

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Roar,

Hope you are well. I wanted to follow up on my previous response and see if you were able to provide some answers to the following questions:

1. Is this system still on 8.0.2?
  2. Do any other reports run slowly or is it just this one?
  3. Is this report always slow to update?
  4. Could you include a screenshot of the System Resources section of the System Information page (found under Administration)

In addition to the above, have you had a chance to test out some of the suggestions I provided? I am adding these below in case my original email got truncated:

To try and narrow down where the bottle neck is it would be worthwhile making a copy of the report (so as to keep the main report intact) and then systematically removing components of the copied report (ie removing the chart - how is performance? removing one of the sub-queries - how is performance? etc). This will help you see where the time to run changes and we can look to make decisions from there.

The other piece of this to look at is the System Resources allocated for Yellowfin. Have a look at the underlying server while the report is running, is it using a lot of CPU or RAM? Also, check the yellowfin.log for any OutOfMemory errors in there to ensure the system is not running into issues somewhere along the line.

Hopefully that will at least provide you with some basic troubleshooting steps to begin with. Please let me know if you have any further questions as your investigations continue.

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Roar,

Hope you had a good weekend. I wanted to check in to see if any of the information I provided was able to help at all?

Was there anything else I could do to help here?

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Roar,

I hope things are going well over there.

Just wanted to let you know I'll be closing this request due to inactivity. However, if you ever wanted to re-visit this or have anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Cheers,

Neal

Leave a Comment

Attach a file