Ability to broadcast Javascript Charts

Paul Dandurand shared this idea 6 years ago
Completed

At the moment, you have the ability to broadcast reports that contain javascript charts. However, the JS Chart does not actually come through in the email, even when using HTML (as I know it cannot be exported to file at this point in time) .

Can we please allow this, even if it's just HTML format.

Replies (8)

photo

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately due to javascript not being handled by all mail clients, we decided to turn it off completely.

While the initial 7.3+ release didn't have a warning on this, the upcoming July release will show the following message, and then only allow you to broadcast the report as 'link to report'

982263174e1e0ed1d03163dcf684b986

However, the ability to broadcast js charts has been officially logged. If there is any movement I will update this idea.

Sorry for the bad news on this.

Regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

Is there any plan to add this capability? We are opting to use a lot of custom JavaScript charts due to their flexibility over Yellowfin's charts, so it would be great to be able to email them and export them.

Thanks

photo

Hi Dillon, have some great news on this! The ability to export JS charts to PDF was actually included in 9.3 (along with the other PDF export improvements), apologies for missing this earlier!

There is however some nuance to this, as depending on the chart, you may need to increase the page size to accommodate and also ensure the chart doesn't take longer to render than the report takes to run, otherwise the export will complete and not include the chart.

I do have an example attached for you to use, which is built of the Yellowfin Ski Team example , just to show that it does in fact work (you could probably also just modify the chart to have it work with your own data set, as it only needs 2 metrics and a dimension) .

Please let me know how it all goes!

Regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

The export is not working for the Highcharts chart included in my reports. It looks like the chart renders slightly after the report data, probably because of the additional data processing involved in the JS. Also, even thought I'm using 9.4, I get several YF warnings stating the JavaScript charts will not be exported when I attempt it. But I haven't loaded your file to see if that works because I have an issue with the Ski Team data source. The connection works, but Yellowfin doesn't see any tables. Not sure what that issue is yet.

What about the broadcasting of JavaScript charts? Is this supposed to be working too?

Thanks

photo

Hi Dillon,

I can confirm the JS Chart I'm using is also exporting via the Broadcast (PDF) option, and not getting any warnings about exporting to PDFs (which is not something I would expect to see).

I think there are 2 ways we can go about this to narrow down your issues;

-Use my attached example and create the fields in your report to match the chart (I've attached a simply JS chart requiring only 2 columns)/f763b6b48d7d364b71df06a4b31c387a

You can either directly import the YFX attached (just ensure you have a report with the 2 columns named like above and same data type.

OR Use the attached JS chart code and ensure you have the same column names/types in your report.

-Organise a screen share and see what we can figure out together (a note on this, I'll need to pass this to another member of the team in your region to cater for your timezone).

I think if we start by first ruling out issues with your particular JS chart we can then figure out if we need to dive deeper into your YF application itself (e.g. version/libraries) or simply focus more on the JS chart itself.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed with any of this and we will do everything we can to get this all cleared up!

Thanks,

David

photo

Hey Dillion, just wanted to see how you were getting on with this?

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi David,

I created a report using your JS code but my data, renaming the columns so your code would work as is. When I attempt to email this, I get the notification in screenshot 1 before I do and the email (file 2) comes with only a link to the report because it contains a JS chart.

When I try to export this, I get the notification in screenshot 3 prior to the export, and the PDF file is exported without the chart (file 4).

Please advise.

Thanks

photo

Thanks for the screens Dillion, that explains the email message. You were using Share > Email, where I was using Broadcast:/f753cdb9ab35050c81810981ec7766ea

However.. as for the export to PDF not working, that's not expected. I think next steps is to set up a screen-share if you could spare 10mins? I will send you a separate email to grab timezone/availabilities.

Thanks,

David

photo
photo

We can review further over our call, but the broadcast isn't working for these either as shown in the screenshot.

Thanks

photo

Hi Dillon,

Would you be available to go over this tomorrow at 9 AM EDT? I'm not available from 2-3 today.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

9am EDT tomorrow would be good.

Thanks

photo

Hi Dillon,

Great, thanks for confirming!

Here's the meeting link: https://meetings.ringcentral.com/j/1467671859

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Dillon,

Thanks for hopping on the call. I didn't realize you still don't have JavaFX installed. I suspect JavaFX is required for this, but I will check with the Dev team and get back to you to confirm.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Dillon,

I've received feedback from the dev team that "yes - if JavaFX isn't installed the new PDF Exporter can't run and it falls back to the old engine" meaning without JavaFX the option will not be available (and technically if it was, it wouldn't work without it so it's probably for the best it just doesn't show up in that scenario).

Considering this info, this option should be available once you are able to get JavaFX installed, so I will set this back to Completed, but please don't hesitate to reach back out if you have any other questions or concerns on this.

Regards,

MIke

Leave a Comment

Attach a file