Best platform to develop JS for yellowfin

Julius Alexander shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

What is the best platform to do this in? Within yellowfin it seems to not provide a lot of help, IE it will tell you there is an error in your js but not where or anything. So I was going to use a compiler like visual studio to write it then paste it in, but I'm not sure the exact setup I would need to mirror yellowfin so that it would actually work.

Any tips are appreciated.

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Julius,

Thanks for reaching out to support with your question. As a support guy I don't do a lot of JS development work with Yellowfin, but let me bounce this off a couple people and see if they have any good insights on this for you. I guess my main question here would be if there is a more defined scenario in this case - e.g code mode versus API?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

I want to do some charting that cannot be done out of the body. I think the best way for me to do this is build it in code. I would be manually creating the graphical elements (most of which are just a table) and putting the values in also through the JS. If there is other ways to do this (such as with html5) I'd be glad to know how. The reason I want to compile it outside of yellowfin first is, as stated, yellowfin isn't going to be as robust as an actual compiler with error checking.

Thanks a lot for your help

photo

Hi Julius,

Thanks for the details here. I'll let you know what I can get from the team in regards to your situation shortly.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Julius, I was able to get a little input from the team on this -

I would normally build in VSCode and just run whatever as a html page from the ROOT folder of YF (which ensures I'm using tomcat as a server), and then use the browser console for errors. 

The overall impression from the feedback, is ultimately it's a matter of implementation and personal preference here as much as anything. Hope this helps, let me know if there's anything else you need here.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Thank you for all your comments. I saw another help document from yellowfin suggest eclipse as well.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file