Linking filter to Jasper parameters

Ole H shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

Hi,

Is there a way of linking a filter (e.g. dashboard filter) to a jasper report?

We would like to generate a pixel perfect report in Yellowfin, but without being able to pass filters to the jasper report this can not be achieved.

I find it strange if its not possible to pass parameters from YF to a jasper report, but I havent been able to find a solution for this.

How can the system support pixel perfect reports (birth/jasper) withoug being able to send parameters?

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Ole,

Thanks for reaching out. If you take a look at our Jasper XML Reports Wiki page here, you'll see it says the following:

/3d0e8d3c3227efb388a131711d367670

Jasper Reports aren't intended to fully integrate with Yellowfin. As such, pretty much all the details you'd need for the report should be handled Jasper-side, then you can bring it into Yellowfin and utilize other YF functionality, such as Security settings and Multicast.

This was added at a time when our reports were far less flexible, and while our reports are still not technically pixel-perfect, there are a lot more options nowadays, so you can get it very close to most design needs.

Instead of Jasper Reports, if you want to open up more design options at the Report level, I recommend heading into the Charts section, clicking the '+' towards the bottom right-hand side of the screen, thus making the report a multi-chart report and allowing use of the multi-chart canvas, then head into the Design page, where you'll see you can bring in a chart (or charts), add text, shape or image widgets, and have the option to alter several Canvas and Widget properties:

/fcf106733c7ac3f8ecbeecb2c7dfbdb8

Hopefully this method would be helpful! In terms of Jasper Reports though, interacting with them in Yellowfin is just limited to Yellowfin Administration-type functions.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Thanks for reply, not quite the answer I was looking for but I do understand the reason.

We are using jasper reports in our solution (generating invoices, etc) which we also would like to have the possibility to generate them in Yellowfin as well. Easier to maintain the report in one place instead of maintaining two templates..

RegardsOle H

photo

Hi Ole,

Thanks for your response, and sorry for the unfortunate news, and understand it's not ideal to have to maintain two templates, but I think it highly unlikely we would ever develop any further new functionality with Jasper Reports.

Considering this, do you have any further questions surrounding this or are we okay to close this ticket out for now then?

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Ole,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this one as Answered since I haven't heard back from you, and I don't believe there's anything further to add here, but if you have further questions or concerns on this, if you respond, it will re-open the case and put it back in my queue and I'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file