how to discard the changes without saving?

Xin Li shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

When I edit views/reports/dashboards, make some changes. If I want to discard the changes and publish them, how should I do it? I saw Save and Publish or Save As Draft only.

by the way, what is the best practice for making changes for views/reports/dashboards/etc?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer
photo

Hi Xin,

Glad this information helped.

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding this or if you would consider this questions answered.

Thanks,

Jared

Replies (8)

photo

Hi Xin,

Thanks for reaching out with this question.

To discard changes made to a report we can click the 'X' in the top right of the report build and click 'No' when asked if you want to activate the report now:

/054449fe35db279546825a732854b3d3

This will bring you back to the Browse page where you should still have the active report (the report we were editing) and a copy of the report in Draft mode. If we chose to activate the report when exiting the editor Yellowfin would write the changes made to the report.

/91ad481fec243943557df9f14e6d24b8

The process to discarding changes for dashboards is the same as reports except you will be asked if you would like to 'Publish' the dashboard before closing the editor, to which we will chose the 'Close' option:

/b0193d8ded05de313b6c5cb00442e08f

With View, I would suggest selecting the 'Clone' option when navigating into the View builder, this will create a copy of the view with (clone) appended to its name, once published the changes made to this will be written to the view.

Discarding the changes to a view works the same as the report and Dashboards in we click the 'x'. If you chose to clone the view before editing it than you wont be asked if you want to publish the changes or not.

Our wiki has an article that goes further into depth about view management that you may find useful information in as well: https://wiki.yellowfinbi.com/display/yfcurrent/View+Management

Let me know if you found this information useful.

Best,

Jared

photo

Thanks Jared for your quick response.

yeah, I am aware of the X and Close or No option. After doing that, the draft version in grey color is left there. I just don't want to see the draft version, that's why I asked how to discard the changes. If I don't need the draft version, I can simply delete them? I did not see the DELETE option, it might be that I don't have enough privilege?

in addition, for views, If I chose a clone, I have a chance to roll back. for reports/dashboards, there is no way to roll the changes back? there is no version control on reports/dashboards? if so, do you have any plan to add the feature? I believe it is a very important feature.

Thanks.

photo

Hi Xin,

After looking through our UI a bit further I was able to confirm that these options are present, they are just a little hidden.

If editing a dashboard you can click the 'More' button and have the option to rollback changes made: /126715e9003b1b31c7d2138f836a1b4b

Similarly for reports this option also exists. When editing a report and you want to discard the changes, you can click on the Report tab of the Report Builder. After doing so you will have the option to undo the changes to that report as well.

/6cb8c6f7d5d223fe6d75a3f2270bc4ca

Let me know if this is closer to what you were looking for.

Best,

Jared

photo

Thanks.

1) I tested the rollback for the dashboard, it will roll back all changes since the last version, either draft version or active version, in other words, roll back any changes I just made since I clicked the EDIT. If I already clicked the X and the draft version has been generated, the rollback can not roll back the changes already in the draft version. this feature did solve my original issue - discard all changes during the current session.

2) for the reports, I have SAVE and SAVE AS only, no UNDO CHANGES and DELETE VERSION. is it because of the privilege?

photo

Hey Xin,

It looks like you're correct here. After changing the user access on the content folder storing the report, I was unable to select the 'Delete Version' or 'Undo Changes' option.

If the user attempting to undo the changes does not have the DELETE permission on that folder they will not see these options.

/c4d543800e9bcd511239063364dc9d03

You can manage the Content folders from the Admin Console > Content Folders menu.

/a36073406534da587eedb2b269d892da

Thanks,

Jared

photo

Thanks Jared!

photo

Hi Xin,

Glad this information helped.

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding this or if you would consider this questions answered.

Thanks,

Jared

photo

Thanks Jared, you can close this one.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file