Adding Prefixes to Mass Number of Report Names

Lisa Singh shared this idea 3 years ago
Idea Logged

Hi All,

I'm curious if anyone has tried bulk renaming (adding departmental prefixes basically) by editing the json export file and re-importing.

It's straightfoward(ish) to iterate through a json with a script - surely the name is just a bit of metadata and it should work. We've got a couple/three thousand reports (people are terrible about not tidying one shot ad hoc reports!) so I'm a bit hesitant to try anything large scale experimentally.

Thanks for any advice.

Best Answer
photo

Hi Lisa!

Happy New Year and thanks for contacting Yellowfin!

With regards to your question, we haven't really had any previous instances of people trying this but you're welcome to give it a go! Try it out on the small scale so as not to make any drastic changes but I'm interested to hear how it goes.

I'm having a think about how this could be implemented natively in Yellowfin. Are all the reports in question a part of a single folder? How would you like to see it working if it was included in Yellowfin?

Kind regards,

Chris

Replies (1)

photo

Hi Lisa!

Happy New Year and thanks for contacting Yellowfin!

With regards to your question, we haven't really had any previous instances of people trying this but you're welcome to give it a go! Try it out on the small scale so as not to make any drastic changes but I'm interested to hear how it goes.

I'm having a think about how this could be implemented natively in Yellowfin. Are all the reports in question a part of a single folder? How would you like to see it working if it was included in Yellowfin?

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Chris, thank you for such quick reply.

The reports aren't in one folder but not in many folders, about 10.

I don't think it would be difficult to implement theoretically? I noticed even translation exports are in XML (or json, can't remember which off the top of my head so I'm wondering if that's how metadata is stored?)

Hmm..I guess optimally would be a multiple selection - say similar to adding a "Favourite" tag - then "add prefix" with input to specify the prefix.

If there was also an indexing/numbering function to incrementally number the reports would be incredibly useful.

So something like:

Add prefix? ☑

Prefix Text: ________

Number ☑

Number Before prefix? ☐

Number After Prefix? ☑

Does that make sense?

photo

Hi Lisa,

No worries. Yes that makes sense but I'm wondering if you are picturing that happening at the import stage.

Would it be better or less useful to skip over having to export and then rename the reports at the import stage and instead be able to rename them whilst they're in the folders?

Let me know, and I'll see if I can get an enhancement request created.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

If I'm honest being able to rename them in the folders would be like all my Christmases come at once. The only reason I'm exporting/importing was it seemed the easiest way to prefix/number all the reports.

While we don't have tons of folders, some of the folders we do have, are filled with dozens (maybe hundreds) of reports.

Just for anyone else reading that might find it an interesting idea -- having them indexed like that will allow us to easily import all the report names into our CMDB and subsequently requests to modify reports can go via our Change Management process.

photo

Just want to say, I am utterly impressed by the quality of Yellowfin's support and accommodating their customers.

photo

Hi Lisa,

I've gone ahead and created an enhancement! I've included both methods of renaming multiple reports at the import stage and on via the Browse page in case the dev team wants to review either approach. This post is public, so other members of the community can look at and upvote ideas, with frequently requested enhancements often making it into Yellowfin.

Thank you very much for your feedback and kind words!

Kind regards,

Chris

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file