Is using a Story good for this? (Just curious / opinions)

Lisa Singh shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

In a Dashboard I'm designing, an lot of the users will be new to Yellowfin and I want to include instructions on how to use the dashboard (tabs, filters, maximising reports and charts, all the usual gubbins), using screen grabs and text.

Any opinions on whether using a Story be a good way of doing that? Can it be a dashboard subtab?

Thanks for any input.

Best Answer
photo

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for reaching out. I think that's a great use of Stories!

Technically, you can do this on a Dashboard Subtab as well: just create a Canvas Dashboard, then drag in Text and Image Widgets. This will give you more flexibility, but it will require more manual resizing and moving of elements on the Canvas. I think using Stories would simplify the process because you can just start typing then add supporting content, such as images and reports into the Story as you see fit. The format of a Story is closer to a standard article as well, so it'll probably be most easily understood.

The choice of which to use ultimately comes down to you, but so long as you don't need or desire the flexibility putting this on a Canvas Dashboard provides, I think a Story would be suitable for this.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on this.

Regards,

Mike

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for reaching out. I think that's a great use of Stories!

Technically, you can do this on a Dashboard Subtab as well: just create a Canvas Dashboard, then drag in Text and Image Widgets. This will give you more flexibility, but it will require more manual resizing and moving of elements on the Canvas. I think using Stories would simplify the process because you can just start typing then add supporting content, such as images and reports into the Story as you see fit. The format of a Story is closer to a standard article as well, so it'll probably be most easily understood.

The choice of which to use ultimately comes down to you, but so long as you don't need or desire the flexibility putting this on a Canvas Dashboard provides, I think a Story would be suitable for this.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on this.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Lisa,

Hope you had a good new years! I just wanted to check in and see if you needed anything else here.

Regards,

Mike

photo

No thank you Mike, sorry I meant to click 'best answer." (Or is it better to say something in a reply to indicate this is closed?)

photo

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your response. I did see that, but just wanted to explicitly confirm. Since that's now been done I'll go ahead and mark this as Answered, but please don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions or concerns.

Happy new year!

Regards,

Mike

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file