Value list selection paramter

Yoav Chen shared this idea 6 years ago
Idea Logged

Currently view level parameters can only accept hard coded value through input boxes. It would be great if there were a way to create value list selections for these so that multiple pre-defined scenarios could be explored .

Replies (7)

photo

Hi Yoav,

Apologies if I'm missing something, though I'm under the impression that view level filters have the same options as report level filters, and able to allow prompts, cached filter selections.

E.g.

5a42614a54adbed1ef1d9c9ce32511a6

a16bc9c5e3353689b692b6c8d2251af9

83aca029eb45a4a93285fc84d898bd25

Are you able to provide a little more info on what you're trying to achieve?

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi David,

To explore a "what if" scenario, we want the selected parameter to be part of a calculation.

As i understand, only view parameters can be used in calculated fields.

Can selected filter values be part of a calculated field at run time?

Thanks,

Yoav

photo

Ahhh I think I understand.

Do you want parameters to display values like a cached filter value?

But the values you define in the drop-down can be returned by some sort of SQL ?

b7bb66a87a125dcd4c6bf4d4f5de627b

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi David,

Yes. The idea is to have a list of values, which the option to select only one, and use this selection value in a calculated field in the report.

thanks,

Yoav

photo

Thanks for the confirmation, it has now been logged, if there are any updates on this we will post them here.

photo

this is very important capability. In order to have a "manual list" now, we have to add join to virtual table in the view level and then multiple the data, and add constraint about always selecting one value from this filter.

photo

Hi Reut,

Are you able to elaborate a bit more on how you use the parameters? Just trying to get my head around the sort of values you're using and if there might be another way we can solve this.

Thanks,

David

photo
photo

There are a lot of examples:

1.we want the % profit measure in profit report. Some customers look at the % profit as the (proft/total gross). Other clients will calculate %profit from the net amount: (profit/total net), and other clients will calculate this measure from groos+tax.

I don’t want to calculate 3 different reports for that.

So, I would like to have a list with values: Calc % Profit from Gross/ Calc % Profit from Net/ Calc % Profit from Gross+Tax. The user will choose one of this value and according to that the calculated field of % profit will be calculated.

2.I want to show data in the orig currency or in the system currency. So I want all my calculated fields will use a parameter with list of 2 values.

In this case it is not relevant to use exchange rate table because a clerk can change the ex rate to a specific transaction and not to use the current exrate. That is why we have all amounts in our database in those 2 currencies. I want a calculated fields of all measures to depand on a parameter with this 2 options: Orig Currency/System Currency.

Regards,

Reut

Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2019 11:51 PM

To: Reut Taizi <reut.taizi@galor.com>

Subject: New Comment in "Value list selection paramter"

photo

Thanks Reut,

We were thinking of ways of using calc fields with WHERE clauses that link to parameters, or the possibility of creating extra table in the data set and joining in the view, though it sounds like you've considered these options as well.

It is all possible, just requires a bit of work.

I've gone ahead and updated the task, though unfortunately do not have any immediate plans to implement this feature.If anything changes I'll let you know. If there was anything else you were after in the meantime, please let me know.

Regards,

photo

I would like to promote this idea

need to use parameter to select between columns. for example:

case when parameter = Gross then gross when parameter = tax then tax end.

would like to limit the free text for the parameter to relevant options

please let me know if you have any faster/alternative solution

thank you

photo

Thanks for the feedback Lily. It does sound like you're after a calc field of sorts to be dynamic and allow user entry. While parameters do allow user entry they're not dynamic to switch between columns.

I think in this type of scenario we really need to understand your use case and pitch it to the consultants , what would be the best way to achieve the desired outcome. Here is what you could do, create a 'question' post or a 'private ticket' and provide some insight into;

-The data you are working with

-How the view is built

-Your desired report outcome

-What you're doing right now to achieve it (within or outside of YF).

Once we have this we can make a better suggestion on how to achieve this.

Thanks,

David

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file