Is it possible to have a report with drill through capabilities linked to other Dashboard reports?

Nick shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

Hi,

I have 2 charts showing on a Dashboard.

1 of the chart has drill through capabilities. Is it possible to link the 2 charts together?

i.e Clicking on the chart (drill through) for the other chart/report to update as well?

Thanks,

Nick

Replies (10)

photo

Hi Nick,

Usually with drill through, you will open up a new report either in a pop-up window or the same window. Therefore moving the user's visible 'frame of reference' to that new report.

Do you mean a drill down, that then affects the other chart?

Are the 2 charts part of the same report or two separate reports?

You could use a co-display report to link them together; an article on how to create them is here: https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/how-to-create-co-display-reports

I haven't been able to get drill down working along with a co-display report, however. If it turns out this is a bug or not yet implemented I'll look into logging this as a new idea post!

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Chris,

My apologies. I was meant to say drill down.

The issue I am actually having is that on a dashboard where there are multiple reports, and when clicking somewhere on the pie chart, it goes and update other reports on the dashboard (which I think should be fine as I'm still testing this using a simple use case with 2 reports only).

So at this point, let's say everything is fine, and after drilling down on the master report, there is a 'Reset' hyperlink that appears at the top. Clicking on this should reset the drilldown, which again works fine for the master report, but should the reset also work for the other linked reports? It doesn't seem to be the case. The expectation here is that it should. Can you confirm what should be the correct behavior of the 'Reset' hyperlink?

Thanks,

Nick

photo

Hi Chris,

I was able to replicate the 'issue' by creating 1 dashboard, and added 2 reports to it.

After I drilled down on my first report, the second one also updated.

But clicking the reset drilldown only works for the 'master' report.

I think this is as expected, but it may be broken in the sense that it should have reset the drill down on the linked reports as well?

Is this a defect or enhancement?

Thanks,

Nick

photo

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, co-display reports with drill down aren't able to be linked, but on a dashboard that's not the case.

The reset button should reset all the charts on the dashboard and I was able to test this behaviour myself. Just to confirm, are you clicking on the highlighted button below?

/3e155d24ea24f80089353d5ed0bdfe90

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Chris,

Hmm you could be on a newer version looking at your screenshot.

Our version is currently on:

Application Version:8.0.4Build:20200201

See attached.

Also, I've come across the following (seems quite old though although the issue appears to be similar)

https://www.yellowfinbi.com/resources/forum/yfforum-the-chart-cannot-refersh-as-values-started-when-the-table-drill-down-thread-131177

And also this:

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/reset-drill-down-on-chart-does-not-reset-brushing-link-to-other-charts

Thanks,

Nick

photo

Hi Chris,

Found this:

11310Fixed an issue that prevented resetting drill down linked reports in a Dashboard

Thanks,

Nick

photo

Hi Nick,

Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, it appears now to be fixed in 8.0.6 and 7.4.14 - I have heard that 8.0.6 was in testing for BMC, is this bug something you want to get fixed urgently?

Kind regards,Chris

photo

Hi Chris,

Np. Let me check and come back to you on this if that's OK as we this is for our cloud offering.

Cheers,

Nick

photo

Hi Nick,

I'm going to close this one off for now but if you do get a response, let me know.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Thanks Chris

Leave a Comment

Attach a file