9.3 report/dashboard pdf export

Misty Dennis shared this problem 3 years ago
Completed

Hello - we recently upgraded to 9.3. After the upgrade, I tested the pdf export option and noticed that regardless of what settings I apply to the pdf export settings, the pdf always exports as portrait. This is true for both reports (from the dashboard) and the dashboard itself.

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Misty,

Thanks for reaching out. I'm unable to replicate this. I'm able to successfully export individual reports as well as Dashboard's in Landscape Orientation.

Let's check to see whether any errors are generated in the logs when attempting an export. Please provide a compressed copy of your entire logs folder, located at <YellowfinInstall>/appserver/logs so we can investigate further. If there's nothing relevant there, then we'll want to briefly enable DEBUG logging, replicate once more, taking note of the exact timestamp for when you clicked to Export and re-provide the logs along with said timestamp. After sending though, please reverse steps in above article to disable DEBUG, as it generates a ton of noise and they're unnecessary in a majority of cases.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

I also cannot recreate the issue, but I did discover another problem. Let's start over :)

I've attached two files - both show a dashboard export, one from a Mac, and one from a PC. You can see the Mac version is essentially useless. Is there any way to address this?

And please let me know if I should open a new ticket as this one is taking a slightly different turn.

photo

Hi Misty,

Haha, no problem! Yes, that Mac PDF output isn't looking so good. I do have a Mac to test with, and tried to, but ran into an NPE that I see is already logged as a defect in our system (literally same exact stack trace). As such, I'm currently unable to even execute a Dashboard PDF export on Mac. I'm going to explore alternatives by seeing if I can provision another Mac instance to test again there (or find some way around this error). I'll keep you posted.

Regards,

Mike

photo
photo

Hi Misty,

Sorry for the delay. I was able to work past the error I was experiencing and can successfully export the Dashboard to both Portrait and Landscape orientations:

Here's my landscape example:

/2cf9139f7585ca9c0a8f57729d4e973f

This is with Shrink to fit Page Width enabled, Landscape orientation, and A4 page size selected. Are these your selections?

Of course, these are all dynamically exported and thus not always perfect, which you can even see in my example above, so sometimes it helps playing around with the Dashboard pixel width, which you can alter in the Administration > Content Settings > Dashboard Settings > Display Settings > Default Dashboard Width value and/or try a different page size.

In my example, I see considerably better results using A5 page size instead:

/e2bd8bc89389eb998f9d719f3b69d99c

Since yours is showing much smaller, whereas mine is showing larger, you may have better luck exporting to A3, instead of A4/5, so please give these things a try and let me know if you can get that output looking better on Mac.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

This all makes sense, Mike. And when I checked with the Mac user who sent me that teeny-tiny pdf, it turns out they had not changed any of the default settings so the pdf came out as A0.

So there is no problem it turns out, we just need to make sure users always change the pdf export settings, otherwise they will get a too-small pdf. I checked all the admin settings and I don't see a place where we can set a default pdf export for dashboards, but I want to make sure that's the case. Can you confirm there's no way to set a default pdf export for dashboards?

photo

Hi Misty,

There should be an option to set PDF Export Defaults - however, it looks like it's a mix of broken and not applied equally to reports and Dashboards.

Here are the defaults I set:

/99539ebbce23fd35401fc3210e381878

What I found was that:

-when exporting a Dashboard, the Page Orientation and default layout values are picked up, which you can see by toggling off 'Use default layout values', but the Page Size is still A4.

/7a8bb56437fffb2365706e600cebd73a

-Head into a report to export to PDF - the Page Size is wrong again, this time Orientation is not applied, but it looks like defaults are (there's also more default options here):

/9d304b160561c3d921f0082d2db2649c

I've gone ahead and logged a defect for this.

Any potential updates regarding this will be posted here.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Thanks for all your work on this, Mike!

photo

Hi Misty,

You're welcome!

Regards,

Mike

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file