How to report on data in Atlassian Jira Cloud?

Tim Sellers shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

We use Jira Cloud to track our project development but the built-in reports and dashboards are very limited. Since Yellowfin has such a wonderful set of capabilities, I'd like to connect it with Jira Cloud.

I didn't see a specific Jira connector in the marketplace. It seems like the closest connector available is the JSON connector but after installing it, I cannot seem to configure it in a way that can use a basic auth token (generated from Jira).

Has anyone been successful connecting YF with Jira Cloud? If so, how'd you do it?

Replies (8)

photo

Hi Tim,

As Jira uses a DB to store all of it's information, you should just be able to connect to the DB using a JDBC connection. We (Yellowfin) pull data directly from Jira but we do not use a plugin or connector. We simply just connect via JDBC directly to the underlying / backend database and create the view / reports from this. So you can connect to your Jira instance, but you just need to setup a new Datasource directly to the JIRA Database, which could be Mysql or Postgres as an example.

Please let me know if this make sense?

Thanks,

Paul

photo

Thanks Paul,

I'll give this a try! Quick question - will your approach work even with the cloud hosted version of Jira or does it rely on the server installed version? Since we use the cloud hosted version of Jira, I'm attempting to use their cloud rest api (described here: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/)

Thanks again,

-Tim

photo

Hi Tim,

This is a very interesting question and to be honest from my recent research, this may not be possible and they may actually restrict jdbc access from an external connection (Some of the information were old posts). I think it would be a good idea to contact The JIRA team directly to see if this is allowed and see what they come back with?

Regards,

Paul

photo

Got it connected! But... still may need some guidance.

It all came down to how I was setting the authorization. For anyone else connecting JIRA Cloud, you need this syntax in the Headers List: "Authorization=Basic" followed by your username:token base64 encoded.

My followup question is on setting the connector to make multiple requests to return paginated results. Jira Cloud will return up to 100 results (configured through the maxResults parameter). They also have a startAt parameter which you can use to offset requests. How can I set the connector to startAt=0, maxResults=100 and then loop through until all results are returned? For example, if there are 357 results in the set (total=357), Jira will respond with the first 100 results. What needs to be set to retrieve the second set of 100 and the final set of 57?

It seems like the answer may be in the Pagination Attribute Type fields, but I cannot find documentation/examples on how to use them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Tim

photo

Hi Tim,

This is expected behaviour based on JIRA's responses to the issue, which you can find more information on here. Apparently from what we can tell, there seems to be a lot of unhappy people.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Tim,

Just checking in on this ticket to see if you need any more help?

Thank you,

Paul

photo

Hi Tim,

I hope things are going well over there.

Just wanted to let you know I'll be closing this request due to inactivity. However, if you ever wanted to re-visit this or have anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Anita,

Thanks for letting us know! This should be helpful for those looking to do this in the future.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file