Import / Export using UUIDs

Martin Goldhahn shared this idea 3 years ago
Completed

Would you add all the resources UUIDs to the resources returned by the GETCONTENT webservice function?

Here is the use case: In order to distribute our prodcutized views, reports, content folders and dashboards we export the resources by content sub-folder on one machine and then distribute the xml files and import them to the production environment. We export each resource in its own xml file to make maintenance in our git repo easier.

In order to map e.g. the view to the correct folder, we have to get the id (not the uuid) from Yellowfin by name, since the contentCategory and contentSubCategory elements in the export file do not contain their UUIDs. The exports also contain the ids which cannot be relied on as they are different on each Yellowfin installation.

Importing would be much easier if the export file contained all the resources' ids and the mapping options could use the uuids instead of the ids.

We also noticed that the categories and sub-categories are referred to with their reference code (which is a upper-case version of the name). It would be nice if they were referred to with uuid as well.

Replies (7)

photo

Hi Martin,

Thanks for reaching out to support with your question. I'm going to run this by the team to make sure there isn't a "reason" we currently do not include these UUIDs in the function, and then make a new enhancement request to include this functionality in a future version hopefully. I don't think it would be very difficult to implement this. Will let you know how it goes!

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Martin,

I've gone ahead and created a developer task to look into this potential software enhancement. I've included your organization as an affected client, and attached this ticket to the task. Updates to the task will be supplied here as they are available. I'll in turn mark this as Idea Logged for now; feel welcome to reply here with any related inquiries.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Martin,

Just wanted to provide an update - We recently completed a separate task where all UUIDs except for the data source are included on import, other than the data source UUID. Is upgrading to YF 8.0.6 or newer an option in this case? Would you request inclusion of the data source UUID here as well?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

We are on YF 8.0.6 (20200622). We are planning to upgrade to YF 9.3 (if reported bug is been fixed, ticket 19539).

Is the GETCONTENT webservice function including the UUID to the resources?

It would be good if the UUID to the data source is included.

Is the fix included in YF 9.3?

YF 9.3 has Rest API. Is there a Rest API call for GETCONTECT?

Thanks,

Olav

photo

Hi Olav,

This task is currently tagged against 8.0.8, so it's not quite included in current versions. I have updated the task so that Data Source UUIDs will be included when this fix is released. I will also check to see about this functionality over REST, there is a chance that we will need to create a new request for that particular feature. Will follow up on that.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Olav,

I believe I was able to find the equivalent to the GETCONTENT call operation in the REST API documentation -

https://developers.yellowfinbi.com/dev/api-docs/current/#operation/getExportableContent

Hope this helps! I'll keep this Idea open until 9.4 is released, feel welcome to reply here with any related inquiries.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Olav.

Hope things are good on your end. Good news - this functionality has been included in our recent 9.4 release. You can see a full list of changes here -

https://wiki.yellowfinbi.com/display/yfcurrent/Release+Notes+for+Yellowfin+9#ReleaseNotesforYellowfin9-Yellowfin9.4

I will in turn marked this ticket as Completed at this time. Feel welcome to reply here with any additional related inquiries.

Thanks,

Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file