Can you allow for currency symbol to be specified the data ?

Demetrius Ganesh shared this idea 3 years ago
Idea Logged

We have a scenario, where we are developing Reports centrally and then deploying them to different clients. These different clients could be in different countries and so we need the same report running at these different installations to show the currency for that particular installation. We currently store the currency in our data and we have to concatenate the symbol to our amounts to achieve this, but we lose out on the totaling and aggregation functionality. It would be nice if the currency symbol setting could allow you to specify it from data.. or even to have it specified for the specific installation of yellowfin.

Replies (14)

photo

Hi Demetrius,

When you concatenate the currency symbol to the data, do you do that within Yellowfin and keep the value stored as a numeric? Currently there is no localised currency prefix setting in the Report Builder. I'll investigate to see if this has been suggested before. If not, I'll create a Jira Enhancement request!

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Thanks Chris,

Yes we do the concatenate in a freehand sql calculated field. The enhancement would be really nice,

Demetrius.

photo

Hi Demetrius,

Just to query this a little further, would it be possible if you could send an example over of what exactly you're doing and what you're looking for? Currently I understand it as being simply something along the lines of 'If in UK, add £ symbol. If in US add $'.

Is that correct?

Kind regards,

Chris

photo
photo

Hi Demetrius,

I hope things are going well over there.

Just wanted to let you know I'll be closing this request due to inactivity. However, if you ever wanted to re-visit this or have anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Chris,

I am looking for the same thing. It is possible to prefix the currency dynamically for each client?

Regards

Pushpal

photo

Hi Pushpal,

Do you mean having the option to change a numeric field's formatting in the Report Builder to show the client install's regional currency?

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Yes. Every client will have its currency hence hardcoded prefixing will not work if there are multiple clients and they do not have same currency.

In such case, there should be an option which helps in displaying the respective currency on the charts.

photo

Hi Pushpal,

I will raise an enhancement request for this.

As a workaround, if you have the currency in a column in the database, you could use the function concat to join the two fields and keep it as a numeric.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Chris,

I think it will not be a numeric field if its concat with character.

Can this concatenated field be used on charts as well?

Regards

Pushpal

photo

Hi Pushpal,

I have raised this as an enhancement request, you can use this idea to track its progress.

If you use an advanced function, it should keep the value as a numeric allowing you to perform calculations on it. Check the screenshot below, however the currency does need to be in the data already. You should be able to use it on charts.

/7c11ca71b55dd2dbdeb7b5a132cf76f9

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi ,

If the field is concatenate with text, it converts into text only and does not allow to use on charts.

/61d28b968a185d7e15fa445d70b7cff4

photo

Hi Pushpal,

You are right. Another possible workaround would be to perform all your calculations on the numeric without the symbol and then perform the concatenation at the end for display purposes. Would that be a possibility for you?

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Dear Chris,

I am repeatedly telling you:

If the numeric field is concatenated with text, it converts into text only and does not allow to use on charts.

photo

Hi Pushpal,

Okay, thank you. I have logged this as an enhancement and I believe your CSM has also asked the dev team to look at implementing it as a new feature.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Chris

This is something I require too - I create reports/dashboards with sales values on them in a default org that gets shared with all other client orgs. I have a currency text field in the view as well as a numeric sales value - I try to join the two fields using either the advanced function data conversion or a freehand SQL calculation but then the calculation/advanced function gives me a text field that I can't Sum or use in the chart builder. Is there a work around or has this enchantment been done?

photo

Hi Dylan,

We don't currently have a workaround in place for this enhancement, but I've added your support and let the devs know you're interested in seeing this implemented.

Kind regards,

Chris

Leave a Comment

Attach a file