How do I export a storyboard and reports from a backup

Peter Ruth shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

We have a problem with a client's storyboard information going 'missing'. We have database backups but cannot restore this over the existing installation and want to export the storyboards (and perhaps associated reports).

Replies (8)

photo

Hello,

Unfortunately, you cannot export storyboards at this time (from either backups or a live Yellowfin install). Recovery of the storyboards may be impossible without a full database recovery.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the quick reply. We've found there is an export storyboard option and we've managed to restore a YF database to get the originals back (whole task yet to be completed).

The problem with the content going missing appears to be related to the user having a private board. This board has 'access' granted for specific users. At this stage it is fine. However, if any of the users that have access are removed (or added) then the content becomes 'invisible'.

I say invisible, because when you attempt to edit the story board to add the reports back in you can't access that slide unless you want to add 'associated content'. Adding a new slide doesn't allow content to be added either.

Cheers

photo

Hello Peter,

Sorry for the bad information there! I completely mis-understodd whatyou were on about at that time! (sorry!)

Adding or removing users or modifying permissions can cause odd things to happen when building storyboards.

Was the content that has gone missing belong to the user that was removed?

I am going to attempt to replicate this, but to do so, can I have the output of your info.jsp file?

http://[server]:[port]/info.jsp

Have a great day,

Pete

photo

Hi Peter,

No problem.

info.jsp file attached.

It seems to be pretty easy to replicate. Simply create a storyboard with a few slides and content. Save it with private access and add a few other users to the 'who has access'. These can have any level of permissions.

Once saved, you should still be able to see the content.

Now open in presentation mode and go to 'share' and select 'share settings'. If you remove/add users here the content will disappear.

This also happens if you go to edit the storyboard and change any of the user access, save and view.

I would expect if I was the owner that it should affect my viewing at least.

For my client I have made the restored storyboards public and given a few users delete access. Doing it this way appears to allow others to view at least and importantly only those selected to change/delete.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Peter

photo
photo

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the steps to replicate this.

I'll replicate it and raise a bug with my findings.

I'm glad to hear that you have a work around in place - it seems it is requiring more management than it should ideally do, so many apologies for the hassle it's causing!

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Hello Peter,

I have just tested this on the 20170331 release of Yellowfin, however, I am unable to replicate this.

Can you confirm your version by sending us the output of:

http://[yellowfin server]:[port]/info.jsp

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Hi Peter,

Sorry, I've been away from the office for a bit and couldn't get back to you. I've uploaded a copy from my client's system.

Regards,

Peter

photo

Hi Peter,

I'll re-test in your version (7.3 20170103) and report my findings.

Thanks for your patience,

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Hi Peter,

I have confirmed that this is a bug in the version you are running, but it doesn't seem to be an issue in the newest version of Yellowfin.

I suggest upgrading to the latest 7.3 release by logging into the yellowfin.bi support page and downloading the upgrade installer which is towards the bottom of the page.

I'm really sorry you have encountered this frustrating bug!

If you need any help with the upgrade process, please let me know!

Best regards,

Pete

Leave a Comment

Attach a file