Is there a way to suppress the logging of the Report-SQLs?

Stefan Hall shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

Every access to a report seems to write the SQL statement to the log file. This makes it grow quite fast in the production system. Actually information that you don't need for a working report, except in debug mode. Also, real error messages are easier to get lost.

I'm sure I can switch off the SQL logging configuratively. Unfortunately I can't find the right place.

Any help is welcome.

Best Answer
photo

Hi Stefan,

These properties look to be normal. I have seen Smart Reporting clients with SQL queries being logged before with DEBUG off, and I've asked about it, but no one's been sure thus far. All I can really say is aside from I'm not sure where it's coming from is that it's definitely not a YF setting - these are being generated somewhere in either the AR driver or elsewhere in the Smart Reporting environment, and as such I'm afraid we can't really provide much assistance with us from our side. Sorry we can't be of more assistance here, but please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Regards,

Mike

Replies (2)

photo

I forgot, we use Smart Reporting from BMC, which is a version slightly adapted by BMC. But I can't say for sure.

photo

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for reaching out. Yellowfin by default does not log SQL queries in standard logging, only in DEBUG logs. These configurations should be set in the log4j.properties file, found in <YellowfinInstall>/appserver/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/ folder, but as there can be customizations applied to the Smart Reporting environment, if you can't find what you're looking for in this file (or even find access to the file itself), you may have to reach out to BMC Support for this. The lines you'd likely be changing would be within the first several lines:

/c881d3e43efb3470cd1d44ff4f655439

Likely either altering the log4j.rootCategory parameters or commenting out line 5 with the DEBUG option so that it's no longer active (assuming it is enabled).

Either way, please let me know how goes.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

I have been struggling with BMC support for several weeks, but they are not helpful and claim it is a Tomcat problem. Well, we both know that tomcat does not log SQL statements by itself ;-)

I think the logging properties are correct and yet ... every report produces SQL output. Maybe you can have a look at the properties.

photo

Hi Stefan,

These properties look to be normal. I have seen Smart Reporting clients with SQL queries being logged before with DEBUG off, and I've asked about it, but no one's been sure thus far. All I can really say is aside from I'm not sure where it's coming from is that it's definitely not a YF setting - these are being generated somewhere in either the AR driver or elsewhere in the Smart Reporting environment, and as such I'm afraid we can't really provide much assistance with us from our side. Sorry we can't be of more assistance here, but please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Mike,

not good, but at this point we obviously don't get ahead without BMC. It's just a pity that BMC support either has no idea or BMC doesn't have a good grip on the integration. Both are bad for us customers.

Thanks for your quick support

photo

Hi Stefan,

Yeah, I understand the frustration, but unfortunately we simply can't speak to the configuration responsible for triggering this. We do have a test SR environment, but ours doesn't show the SQL queries, so I'm afraid we can't really speak to it. Hopefully BMC Support will get back to you soon, but unfortunately, as there isn't really anything else we can do on our side with this, I'm going to go ahead and close this case out for now, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach back out.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Mike,

sorry to bother you again. You say you don't see it in your test system.

Is this a Windows or a Linux system?

What version is your test system?

Can you upload the two files from your BMC test system and your system without BMC here please

- log4j.properties and

- logging.properties

Maybe it's just one little thing that makes all the difference. Hope dies last ;-)

Thanks again and after that you can close the thread right away ;-)

photo

Hi Stefan,

Sure, no problem. We have Remedy ITSM suite 9.1.07 with Yellowfin 8.0.2. I've attached the log4j.properties file, but can't seem to locate the logging.properties one. Which folder is that in? I suspect it may be a Linux-only file (we only have a Windows instance available to us).

Regards,

Mike

photo

Mike,

Thanks for the file, unfortunately no difference.

We use exactly the same version, only on Linux and with Oracle. You surely with a MSSQL DB.

Now I would like to compare the complete filesystem, unfortunately I can't set up a Windows system with us.

Too bad, but thanks again

photo

Hi Stefan,

You're welcome! Hopefully BMC will reply shortly and help get this looked at with you.

Regards,

Mike

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file