Can we do some yellowfin repository changes?

Sayali shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

Hi Team,

Actually we wanted to have some automation to be done. We tried to work it out on the UI part. but its not yet feasible. So just came up with new thought that can we do some repository changes in yellowfin?

Regards,

Sayali

Replies (1)

photo

Hi Sayali,

Thanks for reaching out. What changes are you trying to make specifically? You can update values directly against the configuration database and/or, in many cases, via Web Services, depending on what you're trying to accomplish. Can you please specify what you're looking to change?

Regards,

Mike

photo

HI Mike,

Actually we have a requirement to create the multiple views at once and also we wanted to change the field Folder hierarchy like in Yellowfin the folders Dimension and Metrics created automatically. So want to have the Folder hierarchy in such a way that each field will belong to the respective table_name folder.

We had raised the ticket for these two requirement as well. But from the inputs we have received in the tickets its not exactly possible on Yellowfin end. But we want to check whether its possible to check it on Yellowfin repository. If these changes can we implement it on Yellowfin repository level.

Regards,

Sayali

photo

Hi Sayali,

Thanks for clarifying. I can certainly point you to where in the Configuration Database these items exist, but I'm afraid I can't really provide specific mechanisms required for a programmatic solution to automate these changes.

At a high level, the field metadata of Views is stored in the ReportFieldTemplate table. Here you can see your fields and whether they are a 'DIMENSION' or 'MEASURE' in the FieldTypeCode Column (FYI, there are other possible values here too, such as 'VIEWLEVELCACHEDFILTERGROUP' and 'PARAMETER').

The View folder hierarchy is defined in the OrgReferenceCodeDesc table in the ShortDescription and LongDescription columns. For example, here's the View:

/ca4d87d231eb8eff581449b439ff4c8b

And here's my 'Athlete Location' definition:

/2c372308b5e146ba41aa9cb1c97de15f

As you can see, the RefTypeCode is 'FIELDCATEGORY'.

Now if I create a new field, you can find how these definitions are linked between these two tables by looking in the ReportFieldTemplate table.

This is my 'AUS GEO Pack' field:

/e9cc72b57f94d06298ea0beb332b953a

You can see the GroupCode assignment of 'ATHLETELOCATION', which indicates that this field will be under the Athlete Location folder as you can see in my View Builder snapshot above, and as per the 'ATHLETELOCATION' RefCode value seen in the OrgReferenceCodeDesc table.

Using the information from these two tables should be enough to draft up a script to automatically add certain fields to certain field folders in the View, but please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Sayali,

I just wanted to check in and see if you needed anything else here or if we're okay to close this case out.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

Apologies for delayed response. We are trying to achieve this. As we are from implementation team. We dont have direct access to repository. thats why its taking more time.

Will update you once done.

photo

Hi Sayali,

Sounds good. Thanks for the update.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Sayali,

I just wanted to check in and see if you had any updates on this.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Sayali,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this one as Answered since I haven't heard back from you, but if you have further questions or concerns on this, if you respond, it will re-open the case and put it back in my queue and I'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Mike

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file