Should i be using Reference codes to sort out my access levels?

Deannah shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

I have been using the wiki pages to help me with this project.

I am trying to sort out security levels for my company, i originally tried to do this with SQL but to no avail.

I am now trying to use the report functionality, i have loaded a report with levels of access but its saying i need to set up some Reference codes? Do i need to use both to create access levels?

Mnay thanks

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Deannah,

If you mean you have some data referring to various access levels in your company and you want to sort it in a particular way, then yes you can use reference codes.

Check this article which has an example using different positions held in a company.

Let me know how that goes.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

HI Chris,

So i have used this as well as the access instructions and i am still not sure i fully understand how it works.

In my case i am trying to give users access to certain regions/locations based on their access level.

E.g District manager will only be able to see their district North/South/East/West

So i created the Reference codes under the name permissions:

Code: 1

Description: District manager etc...

Then i went to the data sources and the Access Filters and here is where i get a bit lost.

i loaded in the file i have attached to this ticket. Should the reference type be 'Permissions' - As i named the reference code above instead of the actual reference types i have?

I'm really confused by this process.

Many thanks,

Deannah

photo

Hi Deannah,

Okay I've looked into this for you and gotten some clarification. Reference codes should not be required for Access filters. A reference type allows you to categorise a bit better, if you have several filters you want to create.

Reference codes help with ordering specific fields within reports or translating values into something else.

Have you got a screenshot where Yellowfin has asked for reference codes when referring to setting up report access?

There's two sections at the bottom of this wiki page for Access Filters, which should explain how to assign access filters to a view or report.

Note that a report can only have access filters applied if the underlying view has them first.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo
photo

Hi,

I hope things are going well over there.

Just wanted to let you know I'll be closing this request due to inactivity. However, if you ever wanted to re-visit this or have anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Chris

Leave a Comment

Attach a file