can we create multiple views at same time in yellowfin?

Sayali shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

Hi Guys, I am new to yellowfin. my question is below:

As we create a view from single table . similarly can we create multiple views at same time from different single tables. like we have a schema abc. in that schema we have 10 tables. and we have to create view for each table. So is it possible in yellowfin to create views from those table at single time?

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Sayali,

Thank you for reaching out to us on this. Yes this is definitely possible to create a Multi-table view. When creating a new view you should have at least three options:

• Single Table
  • Multiple Tables
  • Freehand SQL

For your scenario, Multiple Tables will be the option for you. For reference the selection screen will look like this:

07dragdrop

From here, you will be take to the Model screen. This wiki article will give you some further information on this process. Please let me know if you have any further questions on this, or if you do not have the options listed above.

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Neel, thank you for your response. But when we choose multi table option and create the view at that time we have to mention the relationship between the tables.

My scenario is different I want the view to be created for 1 table. But there would be around 10 tables in the schema. And want to create view for each table. If we do this with single table option then we have to repeat the process 10 times. I want to minimize that efforts so that we can create the 10 views for 10 tables in one go.

Regards,

Sayali

photo
photo

Hi Sayali,

Thank you for the clarification. There is not currently a way to do a bulk, "one view for each table" creation. Can I ask the reason for creating 10 individual views for these tables? What purpose does this serve that a multi-table view would not account for?

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Neal,

This was the requirement by client that they want to have the views for the tables in yellowfin. In case of 10 tables its possible or its easy to create these views manually. But if we want to create the views more in numbers like 50 views for 50 tables then it would be the time taking similar process.

Thanks,

Sayali

photo

Hi Sayali,

Thank you for explaining that and yes I understand that will take time. While I understand your clients requirements for this, I just want to flag that if there are plans to create reports based off a large number of these individual table views using sub-queries, then this will most likely lead to some heavy performance issues, so I would recommend, where possible, to have completely relational views for reporting.

If you have any further questions please do let me know.

Cheers,

Neal

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file