Yellowfin does not switch to Regional Language report views.

Bharath Kumar shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

Hi Team,

One of our customer has a test system where users work with german locale settings.

One day they noticed that the field names in the views were only presented in english (compare attached doc). The reports themself were also a mix of mostly english field labels.

We did some troubleshooting and noticed that the users did not have the ability to change their preferred language. The menu in the settings was just not there.

We checked in the default tenant. We found out that multi-language support was active but there were no actual languages in the list. So the customer added english and german (for all tenants) and that allowed the users to see the language menu again and chose german as their preferred language.

But the German language is shown partially in the console. ISO language code is enabled in the smart reporting DB, customer is on 7.3 2018 Nov build

Regards,

Bharath

Replies (27)

photo

Hi Bharath,

Sorry for the long delay in my response. Can I confirm that you are looking at the words Design and Change Management? Can you please explain what Image 1 and Image 2 are representing? Is one the default tenant and one the client tenant?

Do you see the same result in a newer version of Smart reporting? I can see some changes to the German translation in the later 8.0.4 builds from 20191219 and onwards. Can you please check if the desired text is in the newer 8.0.4 version in your lab?

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hello Neal,

The screenshots in German language are from working environment. The ones with partial German language is from problematic environment. Both env are on same build version. Upgrade is not possible at this moment.

Regards,

Bharath

photo

Hi Bharath,

Okay, thank you for clarifying that, that makes more sense to me now. Quick question, has this client instance been restarted since the language change has been made? Is the Content Translation file the same on both your system and the client system? You should be able to download the file from Administration > General > Content Translation > German > Export All

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Neal,

Restart was performed several times. After which "language change" in particular?

Does "content translation" has to do with our problem that the views (even in the Admin Console) are displayed in English?

Regards,

Bharath

photo

Hi Bharath,

Sorry for the delay. The normal Yellowfin process for translations uses the translation files solely to handle converting the English view/report/field names to the client language. This file provides the direct mapping of the content. I would suggest exporting a translation file from your correctly working instance and one from your not working instance and compare the two. From there we can pinpoint what is missing.

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Bharath,

I wanted to follow up on this to see if you have been able to compare the translation files from the working and non-working versions? Did this get you any closer to the solution?

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Neal,

The data is partial engligh and German from the translation file. Is it possible to have screen share session this week to check this issue.

Regards,

Bharath

photo

Hi Bharath,

Sorry I am not following your response. Can you please send through the translation file from a working instance of Yellowfin and the one from the system that does not work correctly. If the working file contains translations that the non-working files does not, then they will need to be added to the non-working file.

Reviewing these two files against one another does not require a screen share. Please send these through and we can look at next steps after this if required.

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Bharath,

Hope you are well. I am checking in to see if you can please provide a copy of these two translation files for review to identify where the issues may lie?

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Bharath,

I am touching base to see if you are able to provide these two translation files for review? Alternatively, have you been able to find any missing entries that would explain the missing translations?

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Neal,

Attachments added for Prod(working) and Test(non working).

Regards,

Bharath

photo

Hi Bharath,

Thank you for sending those through. From these translations I can see that the discrepancies between these files does explain the lack of translations on some elements in the non-working environment. Please see an example below of a series of translations (in green) from the working environment:

30505bf3efc6d12495fda70f2085241f

However the same section from the non-working environment does not include these German translations:

014d5fd04a00e5525cb09948f27ffb6e

From what I can see the UUID's appear to line up so it is possible that you can simply upload the working translations file to the non-working environment and see the required language changes. Please let me know if you run into any issues after this upload.

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Bharath,

Hope you are well. I wanted to check in to see if adding the required translations to the non-working environment has allowed you to resolve this issue?

Was there anything else I could help with?

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Neal,

Let me try that today, I will let you know how it goes.

Regards,

Bharath

photo

Hi Neal,

Our customer has below question -

The translation files also contain a lot of details about reports and views that are specific to the environment.

We have a lot of reports and also some views on one environment that are not existing on the other. You can't just overwrite that, can you?

What happens if I simply import a translation file from another environment to the faulty environment?

That really cries out for inconsistencies and other problems.

I also wonder how these discrepancies in the translation files can occur, although according to my information both environments were initially set up in the same way.

I would like to test this, but I don't want to "make things worse". Maybe I will solve one problem with it and have a new one in the opposite direction. Would these changes be reversible? For example, by reimporting the original translation file? Provided of course that no further reports, views, etc. are created in the meantime.

Regards,

Bharath

photo

Hi Bharath,

If the systems contain different reports, with different details then uploading the working file into the non working file is not the best idea. In this case they would need to add the translations that they do want in the translation file for the non-working system.

For reference, the translation files will match on UUID, so if you import a file from another system with a UUID that is not present in the system you are uploading to, then this will be ignored. Uploading a file will replace whatever translations are already there.

For complete assurance that the data is correct, manually applying the translation data to the the exported translation file from the non-working system will be the best route to take, though more time consuming.

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Neal,

We're talking about 80 fields in the each view alone, if I remember correctly. There are also some other views that are used that are not translated.

So why is that customer transfer manually(!) all translations on all its non-functional environments that work on other environments?

We are not talking about customer specific reports that are not translated.

Is it possible to discuss this over a call?

Regards,

Bharath

photo

Hi Bharath,

As I mentioned, the translation files will match on UUID, so if you import a file from another system with a UUID that is not present in the system you are uploading to, then this will be ignored. Uploading a file will replace whatever translations are already there. This means that if those UUIDs are the same between systems (which if it is only your OOTB content being translated, this should be the case) then this should be fine to be imported. After originally inspecting the two files, I gave the following recommendation "From what I can see the UUID's appear to line up so it is possible that you can simply upload the working translations file to the non-working environment and see the required language changes"

In your previous statement from the client they said "We have a lot of reports and also some views on one environment that are not existing on the other" and they expressed concern for the ability to import the new file. From this, laid out the risks and benefits of either importing the working file, or the alternative which is to go through the file manually and make sure that the required translations are there.

I also said, "for complete assurance that the data is correct" to manually apply the translations to the file, as without doing so it is impossible to say for 100% certain that all translations will be imported. If the UUIDs are different then they will not be imported. I do not see any issue with importing the working file into the non-working system. This may work and translate the remaining content, but I cannot say for sure, without manually looking at all records in the translation file.

To reiterate, I do not see an issue with importing the working file into the non-working system. Please try this and report back on the outcome.

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Bharath,

Hope you are well. I wanted to see if the translation file import has been able to resolve this issue?

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Bharath,

I hope things are going well over there.

Just wanted to let you know I'll be closing this request due to inactivity. However, if you ever wanted to re-visit this or have anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Neal,

Customer is concerned about cause inconsistencies in the target system if we import the translation file from working to non-woking system. We would like to have a short call to understand the translation process.

Would you be available on Monday or Tuesday next week?

Regards

Bharath

photo

Hi Bharath,

The translation process begins with the translation file, which contains the UUID of the content, it's type, its original name and the translation. When you upload a file Yellowfin tries to match the UUID's from the file to those that exist in the system. If a UUID is matched, then the translation for that content is added, if there is no match then the translation is not added. UUID's are designed to be unique within a system, however there is a very, very small chance that a UUID exists in two different system for two different pieces of content. I have yet to see this occur, but as with any randomly generated value there can be no 100% guarantee.

There are only two options for proceeding and it is down to you and your client to decide which is the best path forward. I have provided all the information on the translation process so I do not see a benefit in a call. I have recommended importing the working file and fixing any other content up manually. If there are errors in the process, the original non-working file can be uploaded to replace the values, or you could take a backup of the system prior to importing the translation file so that it can be rolled back.

Please let me know which path you decide on and the outcome.

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Bharath,

Hope you are well. I wanted to see which direction you and your client decided to take here? Did you have any further questions for me?

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Neal,

Customer has provided DB dumps as they are not comfortable in doing the changes in their environment.

Regards,

Amir

photo

Hi Amir,

Thank you for the update. I please let me know you you go with this. I will check in next week for a progress update if I have not heard from you beforehand.

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Amir,

Hope you are well. I wanted to see if you were able to import the translations the client required?

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Amir,

I hope things are going well over there.

Just wanted to let you know I'll be closing this request due to inactivity. However, if you ever wanted to re-visit this or have anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Cheers,

Neal

Leave a Comment

Attach a file