Joins in a view: How can I have it detect the foreign keys instead of matching by field name?

Travis shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

We have many tables to join that all have complex keys. Is there a way to have Yellowfin detect the foreign keys? Matching by fieldname doesn't work very well in our case. It picks up too many fields. I know they can be removed, but it becomes cumbersome for the number of joins we require, and the number of views we need to create.

Replies (6)

photo

Hi Travis,

actually Yellowfin doesn't match by fieldname, all it does is to match the datatype across the join then it's up to you to select the one you want. For example, here I have picked an Integer from the IPClass table, so YF then shows all Integers from the IpRltshp table:

/czxLNdjHuAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Whereas, if I select a VarChar from the IpClass table, then YF shows all VarChars from the IpRltshp table:

and there is no other way to change this process of YF matching by datatype.

regards,

David

photo

Hello again Travis,

pardon me, it just occurred to me that you were most probably referring to the Detect Joins feature, in which case the answer is "no", there isn't a way to have YF detect the foreign keys, it only matches by fieldname and does not look at any underlying join logic built into your database.

So perhaps in your situation it would be better to choose the foreign key manually rather than use the Detect Joins feature.

regards,

David

photo

Hi Travis,

I'm just going through my work list and checking up on things and I noticed that this case has been hanging around for a month so I'm asking whether it can be closed now?

regards,

David

photo

Hi Travis,

it's been 2 weeks since my last communication about the status of this question and there has been no response, so I'm going to mark it as answered, however if you feel that is incorrect then just respond and then the question will re-open and appear back on my worklist.

regards,

David

photo

Hi Dave,

That is fine. The only thing I would wonder is if this should or can become an idea for possible future enhancements.

Thanks.

Sent: July 12, 2017 12:38 AM

To: Travis

Subject: New Comment in "Joins in a view: How can I have it detect the foreign keys instead of matching by field name?"

photo

definitely! Please see latest response in your Question 3004

Leave a Comment

Attach a file