Circular Joins in Yellowfin

Abhishek Shinde shared this idea 3 years ago
Not Planned

Hi,

Currently we have 5 dimension table and 50 fact tables.

Each fact table needs to join with the 5 dimension tables. In our model we already applying the workaround by creating alias, by creating join filters where we have to create less alias. In our case we have many fact tables so for each fact we are having to create an alias for each dimension table.

So If Yellowfin were to provide something where we can join this 5 dimension table with the different fact tables like d1.t1 = f1.t1, d2.t2 = f1.t2, d3.t3 = f1.t3, d1.t1 = f2.t1, d2.t2 = f2.t2, d3.t3 = f2.t3 and in case which ever object we drag then that associated join will come into the query.

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Abbhishek,

Thanks for reaching out with this Idea.

I have gone ahead and passed this on to our development team as an enhancment. Once any updates on this task become available to me I will be sure to post them here.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this in the meantime.

Thanks,

Jared

photo

Hi Abbhishek,

This items has been reviewed, and unfortunately not something that Yellowfin is planning on supporting.

When this type of request pops up, what usually seems to be the case is that the user is coming from a different reporting tool where circular joins were supported.

In these instances what we need to do is understand the reporting needs and propose a solution in Yellowfin's view builder, as there should be a way to give you the same results. So while I understand your join queries above, I don't understand how this would result in the reporting needs.

Is there a way to get an idea of the underlying data tables needed, and then the expected result in the report? This way we can tell you exactly how to build your view.

Thanks,

David

Leave a Comment

Attach a file